585,555 active members*
3,355 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Dim laptop screen

Hi,

I have an interesting case. I have a older Sony Vaio laptop (VGN-FE550G). One day the screen suddenly darkened. I restarted the computer, I would have a picture for about a minute, then the screen would darken again. I took the computer apart, removed the old inverter, and installed a new one. The laptop seemed to work fine for about 3 days (although I did notice the brightness would flicker every once in a while). Then once again the screen darkened, though it would keep a picture for about 10 minutes when I rebooted it. I could still see faint images in both situations. I currently have the laptop running off an external monitor, and it is working fine - awkward for me but possible. I am very frustrated with this problem. I need some of you experts out there to help me figure out what's wrong?

Please help.

I didn't find the right solution from the Internet.

References:-
    https://bit.ly/2JP3qlk
    Motion graphics video animation studio

Thanks

Re: Dim laptop screen

I experienced the same issue with an old Acer laptop. Turned out to be a bad (burned) connection between the inverter and where the screen bulbs connect, which was not repairable in my case. I ended up doing r=the same as you, used an external monitor.
    John Champlain
    www.picengrave.com

"Turned out to be a bad (burned) connection between the inverter and where the screen bulbs connect, which was not repairable in my case. I ended up doing r=the same as you, used an external monitor."
    Same thing happened to my brother's laptop. He's now using a monitor as well.

It usually happen due the aging process of a old monitor your laptop is using. If you using it eventually, from time to time,only for games and stuff, you good. But if doing something on it directly related to your trade, you should be worried as it will hurt your eyes more and more as time goes by. There is no way back with these old devices, so why don't you go for something new, like https://www.thelaptopguru.com to works with. It's really cheaper than fixing your eyes later.