585,888 active members*
4,134 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

tool change interupted!

long story short,,the tool change got interupted and the machine was turned off after. after talking to a few people i understand that i have to go to my keep relays so that i can rezero my z axis now,,i found the keep relays but i cant find anywhere what one im suposed to change for sure.the controller is a fanuc 18m can anyone offer any help,,the toolchanger arm is stuck at the 70 degree position and i cant move my z axis to rezero it.

any response would be appreciated
    thank you

The 18 is a good control what machine is it on. I would need to know this because the OEM write there own ladder and apply the fanuc to it. For example fanuc can tell you how to change the controls, but they will refer you to the OEM because of the ladder and mechanical issues of the machine it self.

it is a dahlih MCV 1700

It has been 20 years since I have even seen a one of these. Can you shut the ele and the air off and manualy move it back I have done this on other machines. Our dallie was manual tool change. I have done this on other machines and it has worked. I don't know if the company is still arrround (dallie) or sometimes fanuc backs a machine up they may happen to have the information backed up from another machine. I would look OEM and then fanuc for back up information either the Chicao or Detroit branch. Hope this helps.

ya tried killing the power and pushing it but at soon as u turn it back on and the hydrolics kick in it just moves back
    i got the relay thing figured out now,,just cant get the damn m codes for the arm to move to work,,,, ya i have no clue what im doin

Dah-Lih are still around, have you tried the US rep in Cal. for documentation?
    You need the Dah-Lih Operator manual, not the Fanuc as mentioned.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by cncbob79 View Post
    long story short,,the tool change got interupted and the machine was turned off after. after talking to a few people i understand that i have to go to my keep relays so that i can rezero my z axis now,,i found the keep relays but i cant find anywhere what one im suposed to change for sure.the controller is a fanuc 18m can anyone offer any help,,the toolchanger arm is stuck at the 70 degree position and i cant move my z axis to rezero it.

any response would be appreciated
    thank you
    You should be able to zero the Z axis as soon as the toolchanger is the correct position.I don't think you need to change any keeprelays to be able to zero it.But you may have to change a keeprelay to move the toolchanger though. The keeprelay you can try is K4 bit 1 and K10 bit 4. Then use the M codes to move it.It may work.

thanks alot,,i tried k4 bit 1 and k10 bit 4 but with no luck,,my m19 works but not m81 thru m85.
    i have also tried k5 bit 7 but got same results

Since most everything else has not worked, I have in the past with Dah Lih, unplugged the valve, and manually energized the correct side of the valve. Once the ATC is "home", then Zero return the Z axis, power down (completely), plug the valve back in and power up again.

It worked for me, and hopefully for you.

RRL

If you can access the tool change macro, have a look to see if there is another M code at the start of the macro to turn off the interlock. For example Doosan use M59 to turn it off and then M58 to turn it back on (IIRC). Perhaps your manual will tell you, or you could try searching the ladder for the M81 etc, and see what requirements there are for them to work.

regards, Oz

Fix tool change.

You do not have to change the keep relays! There is a panel behind the tool magazine with the solinodes inside. Open this panel and you will see the 4 solinodes, starting from top...[1]control magazine...[2]arm up/down...[3]tool catch/retract...[4]arm reset/180 rotation. There are 2 orange lights on each, the left one of [3] should be lit. Unplug the wire harness for the solinodes and manually press the right side of the [2] solinode arm down, using the [4] solinode press the left side in and make sure the arm rotates untill it stops by itself. Next gently press the right side of [4] untill the arms claw is under the spindle. Once you have it positioned under the spindle press the left side of [2] to bring the arm all the way up. If it is not quite lined up properly you will see the gap between the claw and the spindle. If it isn't lined up repeat arm down then rotate till it does line up. When you have it lined up and in the up position shut the machine off then plug the solinode wire harness back in. Turn the machine back on and the in MDI mode type 'M85;' insert...cycle start. The arm will now rotate into home position. Now you can home the machine and run throught the manual tool change cycle...M19 spindle orient...M81 tool pod down...M82 arm catch tool...M83 ATC change (arm rotary)...M84 arm retract...M85 tool pod up. Any questions you can give me a call at Heinman Machinery (905)564-9479. Ask for Ben.

I've got the same machine, it does this every now and again.

Here's how to get out of it.

In MDI mode go through each of the following, pressing INSERT and then START after each one.

M19 (orientates spindle for toolchange)
    m81 (move tool pot down)
    M82 (catch tool)
    M83 (ATC change)
    m84 (retract arm)
    m85 (send tool pot up)

That steps through the tool change. If it still is stuck enter M19 and then M88 and then push the ATC ARM button on your control with the CALL LIGHT button together willl step through the tool change.

We usually get this near the end of a shift when someone hits the STOP button in a rush to leave while the machine is halfway through a tool change.

check page 6-33 in your manual, or PM me and I'll fax you a copy.

ya i had to put in a m86 first , for some reason,,i dont know what it is but thats what made it all work.
    and yes i had to change keep relays to make the machine not need to be sent home

I got the same machine and it get stuck on the M84 code when i try to change tool. Any idea's?

cncbob79 :

I have one Dah Lih MCV 510 and when I buy this machine the ATC was interrupted some times under a week or a day.
    The very first thing I was doing was to clean up around 2kg of aluminium shavings.
    sorry but I don´t have any pic from the very first begining, it was like a cone of shavings metal.
    The pictures was after I hade clean it up with pressed air and lot of diesel

Here is the inductive sensor.

Maybe you have another error but I think this is the solution of teh interupted ATC.