584,846 active members*
3,805 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Community Club House > Machinist Hangout > My name is Steve and I'm a manufacturer
Page 2 of 2 12

Re: My name is Steve and I'm a manufacturer

I would seek a source from https://www.d2p.com/ their listings are professional contract shops
    Just wondering are the mold making cost$ getting extreme? schedule going way out?
    I call it "Mold Shock" you want what for that ??? see it all the time now.
    One experienced shop thought that mold shock meant spraying cold water on a hot mold.
    What exact part of the process is the problem? PM if you need cheap retired pro advice.
    I have hands-on made molds for dental brackets, small curved, detailed and precise.
    Gotta see parts or models!

Thank for all your input, I have quite a bit of research to do. The SkyFire looks interesting and accommodates my budget pretty well. The CM1 is the cutest and most capable machine I've seen for a while! I've also been looking at MDA Precision, Makino N and Datron Neo, but all of those are big budget machines and will be the next step after the one I'm currently contemplating.

The reasons I'm brining production in-house are several. Chinese production costs are only moving one way and currency forever fluctuates, UK production costs are very high, lead times are way too long and most contract machine or toolmaking companies are very reluctant to accept high precision work because they are not tooled up for it. Those that are have lead times from anywhere between 8-12 weeks. The final reason is that prototyping is simply not accurate enough for our work just yet, so owning our own toolroom we can prototype and produce on the same equipment. This will save a LOT of money and even more time.

Thanks, Steve

By the way, feel free to message me at any time. Several already have and I appreciate the advice and pointers.
    Steve

Hi Steve, nice to meet you.
    South Bend Heavy 10L, Burke #4, Van Norman #12, South Drill Bend Press
    A home machinist site you might like: www.Hobby-Machinist.com

Fusion 360 runs in the cloud so if your designer can move in to that it will save a fortune.

.1mm? Is that the size of your cutter or the kind of stepover you want? You're going to want something rigid with a moving table. I wouldn't trust a Chinese benchtop router with that resolution. With small cutters like that with carbon for a sinker you'd be best to get a rigid machine and don't use the machine's spindle. Get a high speed separate spindle to get your RPMs up for tiny endmills.

Older CNCs with plenty of resolution and accuracy can be had under $20k
    EDM sinkers are pretty cheap at auctions.

My designer uses SW so I just have to get another license. I should be able to pick it up to do simple tasks (relatively speaking!) like making tool inserts.

The finest detail on our models will be 0.1mm, but they are really the exception to the rule. Most detail features are in the 0.3mm area. Our current tooling facility can only achieve 0.5mm features so on models requiring finer detail we have to get tooling made elsewhere. With our own equipment though, we won't have this issue. With very fine cutters we may be able to avoid EDM completely except on the most challenging tooling. I'd rather spend the available funds on a good CNC mill and injection moulder than spread it too thin by including and EDM sinker too.

I'm currently talking to someone about a custom build CNC 4-axis mill to our specific requirements, so I'll see how that goes. We got a shortlist of 3 injection moulding machines to go see too. All of them are small but built for automated production.

Quote Originally Posted by TinyWork View Post
    My designer uses SW so I just have to get another license. I should be able to pick it up to do simple tasks (relatively speaking!) like making tool inserts.

The finest detail on our models will be 0.1mm, but they are really the exception to the rule. Most detail features are in the 0.3mm area. Our current tooling facility can only achieve 0.5mm features so on models requiring finer detail we have to get tooling made elsewhere. With our own equipment though, we won't have this issue. With very fine cutters we may be able to avoid EDM completely except on the most challenging tooling. I'd rather spend the available funds on a good CNC mill and injection moulder than spread it too thin by including and EDM sinker too.

I'm currently talking to someone about a custom build CNC 4-axis mill to our specific requirements, so I'll see how that goes. We got a shortlist of 3 injection moulding machines to go see too. All of them are small but built for automated production.
    Your Injection molding machine, if you wand accurate parts then you will need a machine with computer control, don't settle for anything less, home built molding machines don't go there, you need complete control of the process, look at Boy and other molding machines like it, and not the older analog models, for boy machines only with the Procan control, this is just so you don't buy something that is not going to work for you, there are many other manufacturers as well, but for fine detail molding you want a machine that you can control everything at your finger tip

https://www.boymachines.com/technology/control/
    Mactec54

I'd look at a used Haas TM1P with high-speed machining option. tor any of the Minis or office mills with the same option. This would give you the accuracy you need, and HSM the necessary surface finish. If you have a current licence for SW, you already have 2-1/2 axis cam built in.
    The molding machine for your application: Babyplast. Cheap molds, accurate parts.

Thanks both. Regarding injection moulding machines, I have built up a shortlist as follows (if anyone has experience with any of these I'd like to hear):

The 20t version of this
    https://milabtech.us/micro-injection-molder/

The 12t version of this
    Babyplast - Official Web Site - La più piccola pressa ad iniezione completamente idraulica

The 12kn version of this
    Injection Moulding Medika 50/120 | Rondol

The 15t version of this
    WITTMANN BATTENFELD - MicroPower 5 – 15 - Toggle Machines - Injection Molding

I'll see as many demos as possible before the purchasing decision in September. If anyone has anything to add to this shortlist for less than USD50k and uses a small footprint with single phase supply I would be very interested to hear of it.

Cheers, Steve

Quote Originally Posted by TinyWork View Post
    Thanks both. Regarding injection moulding machines, I have built up a shortlist as follows (if anyone has experience with any of these I'd like to hear):

The 20t version of this
    https://milabtech.us/micro-injection-molder/

The 12t version of this
    Babyplast - Official Web Site - La più piccola pressa ad iniezione completamente idraulica

The 12kn version of this
    Injection Moulding Medika 50/120 | Rondol

The 15t version of this
    WITTMANN BATTENFELD - MicroPower 5 – 15 - Toggle Machines - Injection Molding

I'll see as many demos as possible before the purchasing decision in September. If anyone has anything to add to this shortlist for less than USD50k and uses a small footprint with single phase supply I would be very interested to hear of it.

Cheers, Steve
    Just a heads up for every square inch of mould / mold surface area you need a minimum of 3Tons of clamp pressure, the higher the injection pressure needed, the more Tonnage per square inch is needed, so 5 Tons per square inch can still be considered normal

So your mold surface area will determine the Tonnage of your machine, don't go with a machine that is too small for the work you need to mold, shot size back pressure and holding pressure and injection pressure are also important part of molding detailed parts, just things to look for in a machine
    Mactec54

Page 2 of 2 12