584,805 active members*
5,290 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Community Club House > International / Regional Forums > Canadian Club House > Complete new guy looking for a starter router cnc for little stuff like PC parts

Complete new guy looking for a starter router cnc for little stuff like PC parts

hey all
    i need some direction here its been like 3 days ive been pounding the internet trying to find a good starting router cnc that's not gonna cost a ton ( like 500 cad max) i just want to make small thing out of wood and Acrylic,and when i can grasp it fully then ill upgrade to a better one .i've looked into mini projects an d other router cnc i even looked into the china ones ,something like this ? https://www.amazon.ca/Control-Plasti...KKFD5VBVK9N4C7 so if any one can help me out it would be awesome cause i'm a little lost.

Re: Complete new guy looking for a starter router cnc for little stuff like PC parts

You will not like it, special software, 4 X 5 working area, spindle motor will last maybe one hour.Wait until you have the money to buy something better.

Jeff

Re: Complete new guy looking for a starter router cnc for little stuff like PC parts

ok
    so any suggestions on what to get ,normally i work with Acrylic that's form 6mm to 50mm thick and soft wood like pine and poplar and birch. if i have to pay more fine but not wanting to spend a grand and not like it .

What's the minimum working size you can live with?
    Your budget is probably going to limit you to one of the cheap chinese machines, that have a fairly high failure rate, usually with the electronics.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    What's the minimum working size you can live with?
    Your budget is probably going to limit you to one of the cheap chinese machines, that have a fairly high failure rate, usually with the electronics.
    min work size would be like 12"by 12" this would be my first machine as such i normally do all my cuts and shaping by hand which takes a long time.and for budget i know 500 cad is low but if i can get going for that and then if i like it invest more thats kool

If you're good at scrounging, you might be able to assemble the parts of a router for that and build it yourself, or find a used machine that someone's getting rid of, but I doubt you'll find anything new for that price that will work well. You're more likely to spend your money on a machine that just doesn't work - or won't work for long - and have to spend more money later on for something else.
    Andrew Werby
    Website

I bought a chinese router from a place in Markham...SignCut was the place.

he had several sizes in there, I bought the mid sized one.

Ballscrew machines with aluminum extrusion tables and double truck linear bearings.

So far I've had very good luck with it. Been cutting aluminum parts on it, and I've had some runs that went 18hours straight..load em up let er howl.

I have about 300 plus hours on the machine with the spindle running 24000 rpm steady without a hitch.

His machines start at about 1500 for the small one, about the size your looking for. I know this might be more than you're looking to spend,
    but I have to agree that dropping 500 bucks to buy someone else's problems isn't really a good route.

i saw the machines that were dual side printer belt driven machines out of the states, and the one I have will run circles around them.

I've had no problem with the electronics, and the thing reads g code as well as HPGL, so you could "print".

Btw I do all 3d surfacing in 3/4 aluminum bar stock.