585,885 active members*
5,922 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

X2 spindle bearing removal

i plan on changing out the bearings on my x2 mill and need to know how to remove the bearings and spindle from the head. i tried tapping on it but it didnt budge. probably get the bearings from this place http://www.worldbearing.com/sizes.asp?seriesID=6000 the ones that are in there feel a little grindy and make funny noises. i might also upgrade the bearings on the motor, too.

These look like deep groove, not the best for a machine spindle. If you want to make an impovement you should be looking at angular contact. Alternatively your present problem may just be preload adjustment.

Regards
    Phil

Quote Originally Posted by skmetal7 View Post
    i plan on changing out the bearings on my x2 mill and need to know how to remove the bearings and spindle from the head. i tried tapping on it but it didnt budge. probably get the bearings from this place http://www.worldbearing.com/sizes.asp?seriesID=6000 the ones that are in there feel a little grindy and make funny noises. i might also upgrade the bearings on the motor, too.

well this is just the x2, and doesn't deserve a/c bearings (would they even work in an x2?). i just want something a little better that the cheap chinese bearings that are in there now.

http://www.littlemachineshop.com/pro...822&category=5

These bearings fit the X2 with some modifications. I'm planning on using these one day.

Ball bearings are now pretty much a "world commodity". Hence, you could open up a package and find brand name bearings that are made in Indonesia, Malaysia, China, Rumania, wherever.

This is especially true when you are dealing with the standard 6000, 6200 and 6300 series deep groove bearings that are so commonly used in various equipment.

The "trick" to buying 'something better' usually involve buying a specific BRAND of bearing. By sticking with the noted "names" in the industry (ala SKF, NSK, Timken, Fafnir, Barden, etc) you can pretty much be sure that you'll be getting premium quality bearings at a reasonable price.

When you go E-bay'ing or clearing house shopping for bearings, you can't always be sure that you're getting premium product. Sometimes, the stuff is surplus, sometimes it is bargain basement distressed goods (stock lifts, bulk buyouts, etc) or sometimes it can even be used bearings being resold "as is" to the unwary buyer.

Depending on the design of the machine, A/C's can be installed in place of deep groove ball bearings if you have a/the way to properly adjust them for fit and/or preload. If you do replace the deep groove pieces with A/C's and do it with properly engineered parts, you'll never regret it due to the superior performance they should/will provide.

However, if you replace the bearings and don't regrind the spindle tapers and/or properly fit/refit everything afterwards to make sure you don't create a new runout problem, you'll probably be wasting time and money.

When it comes to machine tools, there is a lot of "hidden magic" associated with building the machines that is NOT necessarily reduplicated or improved simply by installing new, smooth running bearings.