584,814 active members*
5,169 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > CNC Swiss Screw Machines > CITIZEN Machines > citizen L20 programming help! tool nose comp

citizen L20 programming help! tool nose comp

hey there gang!

im trying to program the part below.

Attachment 391858

and im having a difficult time with the tool nose compensation as im using a full radius insert like this (.125" width, .0625"r):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4347.JPG 
Views:	3 
Size:	25.9 KB 
ID:	391862

i did the math and have figured out my start and end points of all 3 radii but i keep getting an alarm that the tool is interfering with tool path. do i need to change the compensation from left to right in the middle of the deep radius? or is there a way to tell the machine that the insert is full radius?

thanks in advance for your help!

Re: citizen L20 programming help! tool nose comp

I would suggest you direct program it without using cutter comp, or direct program it and comp it a R0 P8 if you need the radii adjustment.
    You can program it using cutter comp with the tool radius in your R value, but you will need to switch the cutter comp quadrant (your P value in T-data, variable #23xx where xx is your offset number) in the middle of the cut and also workshift to the other side of the insert at that time. Looks like you would have to switch your P and workshift 3 times for turning this feature (at the top/bottom of each radius of your 3 radii).
    Remember, cutter comp only correctly comps in a 90° angle (45° each side) from where your tool tip is pointed (determined by your P value), except when P0. In your example, you would be using almost 180° of comp.