584,857 active members*
4,726 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 2 12

Re: Denford MicroMill 2000 rebuild

No problem DB, I'll just finalise what I do and don't need first then you're free to make me an offer on the pile.

Having thought about placement of parts I still need a bit more room than what is shown in the picture above for the power supply to the stepper controller. I've attached a picture of the back panel with different parts highlighted. Purple appears to be a line filter for the supply, so I'll keep this. Greens are ring through which supply power is fed through. No idea what these are or what they do. Orange are proper relays with switches. They will have an important job so will be kept. My biggest issue is with the cyan block. These are described as relays but I can't see any switches in them, they just look like cable connectors to me. Am I correct? If so, I could easy drop a few of these to make room for the power supply.

Help appreciated.
    Steve
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_5607.jpg  

Those are not relays.

Those are just terminals, for connecting one wire to another.

They are also used to connect multiple wires together, using the jumper bars that are installed horizontally in the middle (joining multiple adjacent terminal blocks together).

There is a slight possibility that the four larger beige ones are fuse holders, but only if there is a removable piece you can pull out of the middle, with a fuse in it.

Thank you. I called Denford before your replied and they confirmed exactly what you said. A chap named Jay Summet is also helping me out (being by default the Denford go-to man from his excellent blog articles) and he also said this.

From that info I was able to complete the high voltage wiring. Both circuit boards are able to use 24V supplies - the Acorn only requires approx 1A whereas the MX3660 requires a lot more to drive the three 2A stepper motors. The Acorn comes with a power supply as part of the kit, but mounting it has caused headaches, and similarly but even more so with the 48V/7.5A supply I bought for the MX. I'm now going to scrap both of these and use two smaller DIN rail mounted power supplies, both 24V (the MX can use anything from 20-60V). As I'm not worried about speed, the PSU for the MX is only rated at 4.2A. Once both PSUs arrive I can mount them and then complete all of the HV components, which are: 2x PSU, spindle controller and a spare. I'm thinking of adding a high speed chip blower later, so this will come in handy. All HV outs are fused on the live wire with the supplied fuses (6.3A for spindle, 3.15A for others) but I imagine I may have to change some of these, but what to I have no idea. Help is always appreciated.

This is the first time I've done anything remotely electrical. The only previous experience I've had is wiring a wall plug – and that was only because there's a picture inside saying where the wires go!

We have lights!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_5611.jpg  

A friend of mine laser cut a panel that I can attach the boards to. I don't have a lot of spare time, but I test-fitted it to the mill case today. All fits great, so in the oddments of time that I can spare I can start fitting and wiring up the motion and stepper control components. The panel stands off the back wall by 6mm to allow for board fixings.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_5626.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by TinyWork View Post
    A friend of mine laser cut a panel that I can attach the boards to. I don't have a lot of spare time, but I test-fitted it to the mill case today. All fits great, so in the oddments of time that I can spare I can start fitting and wiring up the motion and stepper control components. The panel stands off the back wall by 6mm to allow for board fixings.
    If that is Plastic that is not a good idea, the mounting plate should be steel or aluminum, this is then used as your Ground / Earth Plane
    Mactec54

Yes, it's an engineering polymer. There is no ground or earth required on the low voltage control boards – each has a 24V input with no support for grounding. All the high voltage equipment has been grounded to the frame, however.

Like Mactec said, not a good idea to use plastic for a back panel. Static and non metallic. I wouldn't do it. Go to your metal supplier and have them cut you a piece of .100" thick aluminum sheet instead.

Marty

Page 2 of 2 12