Hello, firstly apologies for my ignorance.

I have an old Denford CNC mill that I'd like to strip out and replace the legacy control hardware with newer hardware, software and connectivity. I have read some projects where users have upgraded some parts of it, but I'd like to strip it out entirely and start again. The machine has seen little use, and only on soft materials, so is a good candidate for upgrading.

If I strip out all of the electronics from the back of the cabinet, what will I need to replace it? I've pretty much decided on the Centroid Acorn controller, so along with that and a power supply, what else will I need to control the stepper motors and spindle – or can I simply plug everything in to the Acorn and it's complete?

I may in time add further upgrades, like tool height measurement and probe (the machine already has limit switches) and I will almost certainly upgrade the spindle to a faster one fairly soon, but I'm most concerned with getting the mill connected to a computer and controlling the 3 axis and spindle accurately for now.

Thanks, Steve