584,866 active members*
4,845 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Disable homing on M-15

I have an M-15 control on a knee mill and would like to disable the homing feature since this is a hobby machine and I don't want to wait for homing every time I use it. I've done this to another machine, but lost the procedure instructions. I believe The change was made in the Configuration menu, but it keeps asking for a password. I also keep getting a message that the X axis travel has been exceeded when trying to run a drill cycle that doesn't even move from part zero. Any help appreciated.

Woody

Re: Disable homing on M-15

If you set parameter 5 to 1, it will assign home right where it is. If you wish to jog to a home position, then do not change that parameter but change the Machine Home at PowerUp field in the Control Configuration menu to Jog. This will allow you to jog to a location and then press Cycle Start when you are at your desired home location. From the main screen press F1(Setup)->F3(Config)->default password is 137->F1(Cntrl) or F3(Params). Please email a current report from that system as well as copy of your program to [email protected] so that they can figure out why you are getting the Axis Travel Limit Exceeded. If you get that message it means that either your Part0 is incorrect, you are using the incorrect WCS, or your tool offsets are incorrect. The tool offsets are more related to the Z axis not the X or Y.

Thanks for the reply. I'm finally back on this project. I set parameter 5 to 1 and now it sends a message "Error: Z home not set". If I go back into config. and manually set Z home (quill up near top) it sends a message "Z axis travel exceeded". My previous M-15 controlled machine never asked to home any axis. All I had to do was zero all axis and go. My tool library has all tool lengths set to zero, I usually use one tool for a quick job called "tool 1" and zero that to the top of my part. Not sure what the software is looking for or what I haven't set up correctly. Before I tried disabling homing, I still got the Z axis travel exceeded message, graphics work fine, but with same message. I'm used to running ProtoTrak MX3 and AGE 3's at work, and being a creature of habit, would like this to work the same. My previous M-15 was set up pretty much just like the Traks and all was good, just too large for my small shop. With your help, I'm sure I'll get this set up the same as that one was.

Thanks much,

Woody

Please provide us with a report from your system.

To run the way your are describing, you will need to set all of your plus and minus travel limits to zero.

In most software versions, travel limits are on the Machine Configuration -> Jog Parameters table:
    F1/Setup -> F3/Config -> "137" -> F2/Machine -> F1/Jog.

And yes, you still need to set home on the Z axis, preferably somewhere near the top of travel.

Rather than using Parameter 5, you might find it more expedient to select "Jog" or "No" as your "Machine Home at Powerup" choice on the Control Configuration menu. That way you still get a prompt on powerup reminding you of the need to set home, but you can just ignore X and Y; jog Z to a suitable home position; and press Cycle Start.

Without software travel limits, of course, your first sign that a job does not quite fit within the machine's envelope will be when you trip a limit switch while running the job (or, if you don't have limit switches installed, then when it slams into the hard stops). But you already know that....