584,842 active members*
4,503 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Angry Multi Cam MG103

We have a MG103 and are having some weird problems. It seems to be losing home when it goes to cut more than one pass, we were cnc some 1" HDPE and each pass would be off .062 so you would get a part with a bunch of steps on it. We have tried resetting home and that does not work. I talked to multicam, but not much help. The problem started on just the X axis but now has moved to both the x and y. This problem started a while back and seemed to be heat related. We have been running the machine with the controller door open and a fan on it. That helped for a while but now it does not. We examined the control box for any thing that looks like its getting hot but did not see anything. We are just looking for a direction we don't want to just start replacing parts and guessing. Thanks Tom

Re: Multi Cam MG103

Go thru and tighten all of your electrical connection in the cabinet.

We already did that. I milled the table yesterday and on the home side of the plate it looks like stairs. It started good than it started stepping until it hit the hard stop on the back of the machine.

Give me a call. Not sure what you mean by stepping?

Maurice Phelps

Hi
    If you have checked the electrical connections in the cabinet then the next thing to look at is the ballscrew. Is it binding ? If you are getting steps when doing a table mill operation it would suggest to me that there is something either binding or most likely loose. After the ballscrew i`d be looking at the bearing cars on the Z slides. It is odd how the table mill is leaving steps behind as once set the Z doesn`t pen down during this operation unless you are doing a multiple pass. Another possibility is that the tool is loose in the collet and slipping out. Vacuum table leaking ? Are the steps along the full X axis or intermittent ? If it`s only in a certian area along the X axis then that could be an issue with the spoilboard being not being pulled down evenly.

Got our machine fixed. He reloaded the firmware to the motherboard and seemed to fix our problems. But we decided to upgrade our motherboard since the tech was here. So we have an M24 motherboard if anyone is in need. Thanks

I have the same machine and have tried replacing the motherboard, but it was slightly off from what my machine needs. Would like to try another M24 if you are still getting rid of it. Otherwise, I may be interested in what upgrade you used.

Thanks