584,841 active members*
4,656 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

DIY Toggle Clamp Holddowns

Hey guys, I get butt load of info from this site and I figured I would share mine seeing no one has beat me to the punch, that I know of. I came across this article in one of my wood working magazines and I know this is sorta a hot topic that is brought up from time to time. How do you hold down you work. Well in Woodcraft magazine they show you how. The articles name is "A Cinch to Clinch"

I tried to download the pdf. for you all with all of the measurements but the pdf. is to large. If you go to woodcraftmagazine.com and go to the projects section you can check it out. If you are not a subscriber or buyer you can use the password " Mentor" for the month that the article is out. You will insert this password in the section that says Benchmarks.

I have not built these yet and probably wont until my table is done but if someone does complete these could you post more pictures and what you think of them.

I have attached a few photos of what they are suppose to look like.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ToggleClampIllustration-600.jpg   ToggleClampBeauty-600.jpg   ToggleClampP-600.jpg  

I saved the pdf. as a picture. Enjoy guys
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Toggle.jpg  

hey man, thanks a bunch, i've been looking for something like this for a really long time, prices on the alternative can really bite you.

The prices are kinda high for the nice ones. Even with cheap ones they can run $10.00 a piece. If you were to go out and buy as many as shown in the picture above you would be looking at 130.00 plus tax or shipping. You could easily make more than 13 on a 4x8 sheet of 9 ply for 50 bucks plus time. If I get time later to day I might be able to draw it up as a dxf. so everyone can cut them out.

Also I was thinking last night instead of using wood glued to the screw head you could use some rubber. Harbor Freight sells it to cover the grips of tools that have lost thier rubber grips. Just dip the heads and let it dry.

Not .dfx files but I modeled one in Alibre Design Xpress as a project to help learn the software.
    The image is the screen capture of the assembled parts and the attached zip containes the design files.
    Some of the dimensions are just made up to be close as I didn't have any on hand to measure, ie. bolt heads, t-nut, dowel retaining screw.
    Also, the assembly does not have the dowel screw in it as I have the free version of Alibre and am limited to 10 parts in an assembly; that screw would be part number 11.
    And I still have not come close to mastering threads on bolts or screws so they are not shown with threads.

Greg

Attached Files Attached Files

Only thing I see that will cause problems is this clamp is pretty tall when engaged. So in the case of my cnc I'd have to be sure to have a wide path around this so I don't crash into it.

Something lower profile would be nicer..

b.

You could try something like this. It shaved off a 2 1/2 inches so for a grand total of 5 1/4 inches but I think I could shave off even more in other places like the base. The base is 7/8 thick and you could drop that by a 1/2 inch and it seems to be alittle loose all around so I will play around with it more to get it down some.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hold down.jpg  

Re: DIY Toggle Clamp Holddowns

Спасибо за чертежи.

Many thanks for drawings

Harbor Freight has the horizontal toggle clamps really cheap!

Спасибо!