584,837 active members*
5,413 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Mini Lathe > Are the Mini Lathes sold by HarborFreight worth the $500 price tag?

Are the Mini Lathes sold by HarborFreight worth the $500 price tag?

Never owned a lathe, thought this forum might be a good place to ask.

If NOT...what is a better "starter Mini Lathe" -note- For UNDER $600
    I do not need a top notch lathe for my simple needs.

I don't need a shop quality or heavy production or high precision lathe. Just want to use it to learn to do a few things and maybe make a few simple items like
    a power steering pump pulley.

If that information is not available at this forum, could someone suggest a forum where I might get an answer to that question?

Re: Are the Mini Lathes sold by HarborFreight worth the $500 price tag?

I personally don't think so, but I do know there is a cult like following for the little 7" lathes. The 8" lathe is a significant upgrade, but honestly, I'd looked for a good used machine. I snagged a used HF 8" and a southbend model A (separate transactions) for less than those 7" ones go for new. I'd keep an eye on craigslist or ebay for a decent used machine.

I don't think they are either. I've had one for several years now, and it's hard to align, too light for many jobs, and the plastic gearing is cheap.
    Most of the cult following is surrounding modifications and upgrades to the lathe itself. I think a decent machinist could do better than a newbie like myself when it comes to cheaper machines.
    Machines are like musical instruments, you should learn on the best one you can afford.
    I spent $550 on a HF where my neighbor spent $700 on a good used atlas. By comparison, mine is a toy while his is a tool.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I just bought one but after many hours of watching YouTube videos about reviews for the HF and Sieg, Grizzly mini lathes, they all look the same, everyone has 1 complainant about the HF, the cross slide wheel has slack in it, meaning the cross slide itself is not loose but the wheel is. So after all that i did the math on buying a mini cnc lathe but those are 5K up or $500 for the HF lathe, then buy a CNC conversion that does away with the slack, the conversion kit is $400, motors and controllers $250, $1150 and once assembled will be better than stock.

BTW, use the HF 20% off coupon to knock off from the $500 tag. Sieg, Grizzly

I bought a mini lathe HBM300 DC some 10 years ago to make an electric clutch for my bike. I have never regretted buying this machine. I can accurately turn to 0.01 mm accuracy aluminum, steel, brass and even Cr42Mo4 steel. 2 years ago I converted it to CNC for about $100,-- . It will not win any speed contests, but it does a real good job. I now can turn a taper, knurl using a threading tool, do any pitch thread, turn a gear cutter and a lot of other cool things.
    Have a look at the pictures an drawings and try it your self.
    Welkom op www.mwt.messageboard.nl

I don't like Harbor Freight machinery. Their products are never "finished." If you look at nearly all the reviews and all the youtube videos out there they are of people who have to do things that should have been done at the factory. Loose knobs. Loose gibs. Poorly machined ways. I wouldn't buy one. I would keep my eyes open for a used machine under $1000. You can find some good deals out there.

I have hada Sieg 7x12 for about 10 years. All the 7x cheap chinese lathes are made by SIEG, and except for the motors/driver are pretty much the same. The only reason to get one is if you do not have space for anything else. By the time you put it on a bench, it footprint is not that different from a real lathe. I now have a 1970's Boley 4L. Like day and night.
    Mark
    Regards,
    Mark