584,862 active members*
5,511 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Tormach 1100M Info Possible Series 4!
Page 1 of 8 123

Tormach 1100M Info Possible Series 4!

So I have been digging in the FB groups concerning the 1100M that was used at Battlebots. I have some info from first hand use and pictures! Faster spindle, enclosure changes, and possibly rigid tapping! See the attachments!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 27A7B959-ADA7-4526-8A6F-B4775C06183B.jpg   86F22528-6BDB-4C22-9A87-EB76C0202EF8.jpg   4DCD22A9-C411-4B7C-9A7C-5C4BF3E53F28.jpg   04C0AF82-41D3-4D60-A8AF-10712087C711.jpeg  

Re: Tormach 1100M Info!

Cool. We need more specs.

I wonder when NYCCNC will get one.

Quote Originally Posted by 79rallysport View Post
    Cool. We need more specs.

I wonder when NYCCNC will get one.
    John probably has one in the back room lol. These changes will close the gap on a haas entry level mill and the Tormach feature wise. This will also widen the gap price wise as well.

Re: Tormach 1100M Info Possible Series 4!

rigid tapping, faster spindle, and an improved base with better coolant drainage. 'bout time.

some nice upgrades right there.

Wonder what the M" in "1100M" means?
    Tim
    Tormach 1100-3, Grizzly G0709 lathe, Clausing 8520 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

Hopefully not 1100MuchMoreMoney

Quote Originally Posted by tmarks11 View Post
    rigid tapping, faster spindle, and an improved base with better coolant drainage. 'bout time.

some nice upgrades right there.

Wonder what the M" in "1100M" means?
    Of course, you coulda had a Novakon mill with all those features, plus 500 IPM rapids with AC servos, 4+ years ago...

Regards,
    Ray L.

I asked one of the tech's will the base mount to the current production 1100..sadly it won't with out modification...so that tells me the machine it self has changed as well.

I just bought my machine in Jan. Of this year....grrrr!

i wonder if some of the features will be able to be retrofitted onto the older meachines, ala the series III upgrade. I would be interested in some of the freatures, but I definitely don't want to buy a new machine to get them.

What the been the hangup on rigid tapping wtih the Tormach? I don't have one, though I have window shopped. Seems to me all you need is a spindle encoder.

Sounds promising! I like the machine but I've held off buying another one because of the crappy stand/enclosure cobble job though I see it still has those crappy bellows way covers which I also detest. Too bad Mikini flamed out as many of the Tormach design flaws were addressed in their design.

I suspect that the reason they didn't implement rigid tapping is a combination of software and hardware shortcommings. The motor has very little torque at the low speeds that you need to run for tapping which means that it is likely that the spindle will slow down some. Combined with the limmitation on Mach3 and Linux CNC (the basis for PathPilot) of only reading one pulse per revolution and you have a combination in which the z movement is likely to get out of synch with the taps needed momvement and lead to tap breakage. It was probably also a low prioroity given the intended use and user base expected for the machine.

Quote Originally Posted by cjtoombs View Post
    I suspect that the reason they didn't implement rigid tapping is a combination of software and hardware shortcommings. The motor has very little torque at the low speeds that you need to run for tapping which means that it is likely that the spindle will slow down some. Combined with the limmitation on Mach3 and Linux CNC (the basis for PathPilot) of only reading one pulse per revolution and you have a combination in which the z movement is likely to get out of synch with the taps needed momvement and lead to tap breakage. It was probably also a low prioroity given the intended use and user base expected for the machine.
    Ahh thanks. I know Mach only reads once per revolution but I figured Linux CNC/PP had solved that.

Quote Originally Posted by CL_MotoTech View Post
    Ahh thanks. I know Mach only reads once per revolution but I figured Linux CNC/PP had solved that.
    LinuxCNC (and therefore PP) has always been able to use encoder feedback for spindle synchronized moves
    The Slant pro Lathe depends on this of course...

Quote Originally Posted by PCW_MESA View Post
    LinuxCNC (and therefore PP) has always been able to use encoder feedback for spindle synchronized moves
    The Slant pro Lathe depends on this of course...
    So the hangup is a lack of rotary encoder and perhaps the spindle motor? Seems like pretty minor things technologically and financially speaking. I look forward to Tormach charging $1200 for a $20 encoder and a slightly different spindle motor.

Quote Originally Posted by Spinnetti View Post
    Too bad Mikini flamed out as many of the Tormach design flaws were addressed in their design.
    ...and replaced with FAR worse problems...

And someone please tell me the great value of rigid tapping? A T/C holder can do very nearly the same job, and is more than adequate for all but a few corner case applications (like tapping to the very bottom of a blind hole), and those few cases can be easily handled with thread milling, which gives you a LOT more flexibility, albeit at lower speed. I have a set of six home-made T/C heads I use for all my tapping.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Quote Originally Posted by CL_MotoTech View Post
    So the hangup is a lack of rotary encoder and perhaps the spindle motor? Seems like pretty minor things technologically and financially speaking. I look forward to Tormach charging $1200 for a $20 encoder and a slightly different spindle motor.

Its often awkward to mount an encoder on the spindle, on the Tormach it probably needs to be belt connected or a large encoder disk added to the bottom of the spindle pulley

Rumor is there will be two versions of the machine. 1100M and 1100MX. The MX will be the servo driven model and has rigid tapping. The base casting is different which suggest larger y travels. The 1100M has the larger base castings, this is all from someone who used the machine at Battlebots, but is stepper driven and no rigid tapping. The price point for the servo machine has been suggested that it will be a stones throw from a Haas Mini Mill.

The biggest advantages to a servo drive motor for me would be larger slower drilling, larger slower tapping period rigid or not and slower feeds and speeds with large end mills. Handy for titanium or stainless. Not to mention being able to run a good sized arbor slitting saw at the proper stupidly slow RPM with plenty of torque.

I've idly perused a few catalogs of large servo motors that could replace my 770 drive... but if you already have a working machine it's a silly expense and a LOT of work.

Now on a bigger more rigid 1100... it's going to come down to cost.

The 1100M might have a lot of upgrades over my machine, but ya know what makes my 1100 Series II running Mach III a better machine than an 1100M?

MINE IS PAID FOR.

Page 1 of 8 123