585,687 active members*
4,471 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Tormach 1100M Info Possible Series 4!
Page 6 of 8 45678

Re: Tormach 1100M Info Possible Series 4!

I don't even know what the 4.4% tariff is for. Taxes I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by kstrauss View Post
    I am in Canada and things may differ in the US. However, when I first got into machine shop work there were significant Canadian duty of precision measuring equipment -- micrometers and such -- and no duty on things like farm equipment. Insofar as I know there has never been a Canadian manufacturer of micrometers but there were many local manufacturers of farm equipment. Rather the opposite of what one would expect!

I suppose that this will make a Haas more attractive.
    Fo a TM1-P milling in Canada, you're close to $50 000 dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by syscore View Post
    That is strange. There aren't any US companies making lathes or mills in the Tormach range, and there haven't been for quite some time.
    You are trying to apply logic to a situation that has developed from an impulsive action.
    Tim
    Tormach 1100-3, Grizzly G0709 lathe, Clausing 8520 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

These would seem to cover most of Tormach's product lines.
    Maybe, maybe not. You'd have to spend several days finding, reading, and understanding the actual letter of the action. As an example, I believe Tormach machines are fully assembled and tested in China, shipped to Tormach, or a Tormach warehouse, and shipped from there to the customer. If so those would likely be considered "CNC milling machines". Novakon, and several others, buy the basic machine, minus electronics, and install the electronics and other bits in the US. Those would likely NOT be considered "CNC milling machines", since they are NOT complete CNC milling machines when the enter the country - more parts and sub-assemblies. There will be a bunch of criteria spelled out in the letter of the action that define what is, and what is not, subject to tariffs, and the distinctions are likely to seem rather capricious and arbitrary to the uninitiated. Without reading, and understanding the actual rules, it's impossible to know, or even make an educated guess.

Regards,
    Ray L.

The store is back up and the new mills are listed and the same options are available as before. Can pick and choose the options you want.

I placed an order for several items last week. I just re-entered the same order to see how prices have changed. Last week the total was $370.68 and the same items this week total $453.25 or about 22.2% more. I am in Canada so their free shipping is irrelevant and the cheapest way (USPS) was $40.95 both times. Ouch!

I Just duplicated the package I created previously in this thread using the new 770M components. The only items I couldn't add were the Wireless Network Adapter USB Bulkhead Port Assembly since they don't apply to the 770M. Those two items amount to $53.90.

So, my current package grand total comes in at $14,648.30, or $101.06 more than the previous package (before shipping). Lets add back the $53.90 and an extra 15% to account for a pricing increase ($62 rounded), and we can say my current pricing comes in at $163 more than the same package used to cost.

However, and this is a BIG however, you're now getting much more machine for just $163 bucks more, AND when you factor in what shipping would have cost me, I'm now saving a whopping $1,200 bucks vs. my previous order.

With this new pricing scheme, it appears that Tormach has baked their shipping costs into their item prices. This is great news for someone like me who is in the market to order a machine and other heavy items that were previously expensive to ship. It's not good for the individual looking to order just a few items. The key obviously is to spend more than $50 to help offset the price increase.

As for the international guys/gals, this kinda sucks for you.

FWIW
    I just received my quote back and I am at 20,170.75 for the 1100M vs 19801.39 for the PNC1100
    configured the way I want it and apples to apples. (PDB, 4th Axis, Full enclosure, some tooling, no vises)
    The big difference is the enclosure and PDB are considerably cheaper on the M. Helps offset the increase in the base machine.
    So I figure a 370.00 bump, but I save @ 1000.00 on the shipping.
    So more Y travel, smaller footprint, faster spindle, more HP for @ 630.00 less.
    Glad I waited!
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by WFCustom View Post
    FWIW
    I just received my quote back and I am at 20,170.75 for the 1100M vs 19801.39 for the PNC1100
    configured the way I want it and apples to apples. (PDB, 4th Axis, Full enclosure, some tooling, no vises)
    The big difference is the enclosure and PDB are considerably cheaper on the M. Helps offset the increase in the base machine.
    So I figure a 370.00 bump, but I save @ 1000.00 on the shipping.
    So more Y travel, smaller footprint, faster spindle, more HP for @ 630.00 less.
    Glad I waited!
    Greg
    One thing to note about the increase in the base machine price is that Path Pilot is now included with the machine. Before it was a $715 add-on.

Quote Originally Posted by motoeng View Post
    As for the international guys/gals, this kinda sucks for you.[/COLOR]
    Tormach's shipping costs have always sucked for their international customers. As a point of comparison I ordered some tooling from England on the weekend. They shipped via Fedex and the parcel (about four pounds and heavier than my Tormach order mentioned earlier) arrived Tuesday around noon or 1.5 business days later. Shipping cost was £21.60 (about us$28.45) or half the cheapest Tormach charge for 1-2 week delivery.

Unless I'm reading this incorrectly, it looks like the new ATC is a 12-position one. Cool!

https://www.tormach.com/store/index....TC&portrelay=1

Tormach's shipping costs have always sucked for their international customers.
    I'm pretty sure those outside of the USA can leverage the new free shipping to have your order delivered to a freight forwarder of your choice.

Has anyone checked if the tool changer for the PCNC1100 would work on the 1100M? (even with a few mods?) Thinking up upgrading and I would be nice if it was possible to move the ATC to the new machine.

David

I probably missed the post but besides hp and y travel, is this just an 1100 super up? Does it have linear rails? Is it more reliable/accurate than the series 3 1100?
    I’ll look at the weight but is it more ‘rigid’ than the 1100 s3?
    Thanks

QUOTE=David Bord;2191668]Has anyone checked if the tool changer for the PCNC1100 would work on the 1100M? (even with a few mods?) Thinking up upgrading and I would be nice if it was possible to move the ATC to the new machine.

David[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by MABMachine View Post
    I'm pretty sure those outside of the USA can leverage the new free shipping to have your order delivered to a freight forwarder of your choice.
    Using a forwarder might work for ordering a complete mill but is probably not advantageous for shipping accessories and supplies. Other companies provide international shipping for much lower costs and/or much faster delivery than Tormach. I was hoping that the free US shipping would also bring better international services.

Using a forwarder might work for ordering a complete mill but is probably not advantageous for shipping accessories and supplies. Other companies provide international shipping for much lower costs and/or much faster delivery than Tormach. I was hoping that the free US shipping would also bring better international services.
    UPS or FEDEX would be so happy to charge you an extra $200.00 if you want your parts:tired:

Gosh, doing some soul searching, a Haas Mini mill EDU with the tool changer and 6k spindle is 26k. Seems like for a couple grand more its a lot more machine/rapids/servo/linear rails/except the travel? I was happy with my 1100, but Haas is a whole 'nuther level... hmm...

Quote Originally Posted by jeffrey001 View Post
    UPS or FEDEX would be so happy to charge you an extra $200.00 if you want your parts:tired:
    Yet, as mentioned in an earlier post, Fedex does low cost and amazing fast deliveries to Canada from the UK. Why can't Tormach do the same? BTW, where are you in Canada?

Quote Originally Posted by Spinnetti View Post
    Gosh, doing some soul searching, a Haas Mini mill EDU with the tool changer and 6k spindle is 26k. Seems like for a couple grand more its a lot more machine/rapids/servo/linear rails/except the travel? I was happy with my 1100, but Haas is a whole 'nuther level... hmm...
    Yes, but can you get your hands on an EDU unit? Unless you’re an educational institution, no. I inquired and was promptly shot down.

And don’t forget to add in a phase converter if you don’t have 3 phase hookup - 2k to 5k additional depending upon which brand you go with.

Page 6 of 8 45678