585,991 active members*
6,272 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > Commercial CNC Wood Routers > Chinese Machines > Need help with Syntec controller, all tools cutting below the set zero.

Need help with Syntec controller, all tools cutting below the set zero.

Hi, we have a new 300 x 150 Syntec controlled Chinese manufactured CNC router with an 8 tool linear ATC. For a month now we have been trying to get it to cut correctly. I have gone through the manufacture's recommended procedures but the tools keep diving into the table top. Sometimes 15mm below zero.

These are the steps we've gone through to set it up and cut.

1. We home the machine

2. For each of the 8 tools/bits, we have zeroes them to the table top via the "Offset Settings" "Tool Set" menu. We zero the tool and Absolute Mode, enter the machine Z value in the Length - Geometry column. We then double checked the values.

3. We move the bit to the material zero. In "Offset Settings" we input the X and Y coordinates in G54P1(G54) and confirm each. Z remains zero (as per manufacturers instructions)

4. We set the material thickness in "Offset Settings" "External Shift" by setting the Z value to material thickness. Not sure if this is correct or advisable. We set it to higher value to test file above the table.

5. Using Ucancam 9 we prepare the toolpaths and save them out with Z in the origin set to zero. Profile cuts we input cut depth of 19mm (if we use 19mm mdf), clean area we input mm cut from top of material in positive number (5 for 5mm for example)

6. We load the file, execute and run.

7. The machine runs but stops at M5. We have to push reset and it continues.

8. The machine changes tools and follows the code perfectly but if the NC file states -19mm the bit is at about -35.

I assume one of three things. I'm doing something something very wrong - most likely, or the Syntec post processor in the software is writing something wrong - unlikely given that it all runs well, or the machine may have an error in the the tool change macros - highly unlikely and definitely over my head.

The manufacturer has suggested we set up all the zero values for all the tool to the top of the material each time we change materials. It seems a bit crazy to us seeing we can change materials 20 times a day, back and fourth.

Any help or suggestion would truly be welcome as the machine is standing idle, our old machine is disconnected and crated and production is piling up.

Thanks in advance, David.

Re: Need help with Syntec controller, all tools cutting below the set zero.

I am experiencing very similar issues with a Syntec 6MB controlled router- vague and indecipherable guidance on setting the Origin/G54, incorrect and error-ridden manuals provided (for a lathe), and video that I cant follow. If I get the breakthrough I am seeking I will post it here.
    Surely someone has been down this track before and properly documented the essential operation steps for these controllers. They have been around for years.
    Syntec doesnt seem to have a factory website with any documentation available.
    Cheers,
    Jim

Hi Jim,

We seemed to have worked it out. Our initial problem was that the bit was creeping out of the collete. They are not high quality and any variance causes vibration and they loosen up. Usually the larger bits under load. We are cutting with 4, 6, and 8mm bits and it seems ok. As for the tool zeros, Syntec requires we zero each tool for each job to the top of the material. This is strange because we cut 4 or 5 thicknesses each day and we have to input the tool Z at top of material in the tool setup each time.

Hope this helps a bit
    David

Dear David and Jim,

I have bought a Chinese machine with a Syntec 6MA controller and face the same problem as you did. I can set one tool to the z-zero of my workpiece but my other tools will not come to the same z-zero level. In other words, my tool length compensation is not working. Did anyone of you actually solved the problem?

In my case the bits are not creeping out the collet.Zeroing each tool when you start a new job either isn't the way it should work. I put the zero at the top of my spoil board (tip from a friend). In that case it would not be needed to measure the tool lengths each time, neither it would be needed to measure a new z-zero.