585,715 active members*
4,563 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Rapid Turn tools, 3/8" or 1/2" shanks?

Rapid Turn tools, 3/8" or 1/2" shanks?

Do the Rapid Turn tool holders sold by Tormach accept both 3/8" and 1/2" shanks?

https://www.tormach.com/store/index....NG&portrelay=1

Tormach's website says that 1/2" shanks are a perfect fit for the RT holders and 3/8" tools "are compatible with the RapidTurn with the aid of shims."

However, the tool packages for the RT only include 3/8" tools, so I'm a little confused. If 3/8" tools require shimming, why not include 1/2" tools in the packages instead?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding how these are installed into the holder and what exactly the shimming process entails. Any info is appreciated.

Re: Rapid Turn tools, 3/8" or 1/2" shanks?

0XA tool holders accept both 3/8" and 1/2" shank tools. Shars tools sells sets and individual tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir John View Post
    0XA tool holders accept both 3/8" and 1/2" shank tools. Shars tools sells sets and individual tools.
    Thx John. Would 1/2” tools be preferable to 3/8” for increased rigidity?

I don't see a particular downside to using 1/2-inch tooling and marginally greater rigidity is always a good thing. Half-inch is what I use on my Rapidturn but my holders are from Accusize rather than Shars. The larger holders are a similar price to 3/8-inch holders and more flavours are available in 1/2-inch. I use a Dorian AXA QCTP and Accusize holders on my Rapidturn rather than the Tormach recommended 0XA.

I have a Tormach 0XA on my Myford (small manual lathe with 7-inch swing) and there I use Glanze 10mm insert holders purchased from Chronos in the UK. You may want to replace the setscrews that are supplied with the Tormach holders with decent SHCS. For my holders the supplied setscrews were of rather poor quality.

Quote Originally Posted by kstrauss View Post
    I don't see a particular downside to using 1/2-inch tooling and marginally greater rigidity is always a good thing. Half-inch is what I use on my Rapidturn but my holders are from Accusize rather than Shars. The larger holders are a similar price to 3/8-inch holders and more flavours are available in 1/2-inch. I use a Dorian AXA QCTP and Accusize holders on my Rapidturn rather than the Tormach recommended 0XA.

I have a Tormach 0XA on my Myford (small manual lathe with 7-inch swing) and there I use Glanze 10mm insert holders purchased from Chronos in the UK. You may want to replace the setscrews that are supplied with the Tormach holders with decent SHCS. For my holders the supplied setscrews were of rather poor quality.
    Sorry kstrauss, I'm a little dense today.

I'm still confused regarding the holders. From what I understand, Tormach's holders will fit both 3/8" and 1/2" shanks, it's just a matter of tightening the set screws, correct?

You typed: "The larger holders are a similar price to 3/8-inch holders and more flavours are available in 1/2-inch."

The Accusize AXA holders I looked at appear to be able to fit any shank up to 1/2" just like the Tormach OXA holders. I didn't see a large vs. small size. Will you please you clarify?

Additionally, I didn't realize an AXA QCTP would fit the Tormach spindle. Did you make your own mounting hardware or is any of the Tormach mounting stuff for the OXA holder compatible?

Thx!!

I probably wasn't very clear. To answer your questions:
    Yes, the Tormach QCTP holders will grip any insert holder or other tooling from 1/2-inch down to perhaps 1/4-inch. Longer screws will grip even smaller tooling.

I meant the larger insert holders (not QCTP holders) are about the same price as the smaller ones.

The AXA QCTP holders accept tooling up to 1/2-inch the same as the Tormach 0XA holders. However, the AXA ones are significantly larger and beefier.

I build my own way of mounting an AXA QCTP to the Tormach spindle. I believe that I posted some photos perhaps a year ago. If not, just ask and I'll be happy to supply them.

If my comments are still confusing I'm happy to try again!
    The AXA QCTP holders are significantly larger than the Tormach 0XA QCTP holders. Obviously they do not fit a 0XA QCTP

OK - that makes sense! Thx for the info - I don't have a machine yet, just trying to get my ducks in a row before making a purchase. I definitely like the idea of more beefy holders with the AXA post. I'll search your past threads to see if I can find those pics.

I don't seem to have posted a picture previously.

Very nice! That tool post looks sexy as hell by the way. A couple questions.

1. Price?
    2. Model? (assuming Super Quick Change Tool Post with Triple Action Wedge-Locking System)
    3. Does the post screw into your mount via those two screws that are flush in the first pic?
    4. How do you profile with the holder on the right of the post - can the RT go on either side of the table?
    5. Mount made from 6061?
    6. I don't see how you would adjust alignment. Is it just dictated by the tolerances of your mount?

Yes, it is a Dorian Super QCTP. I was purchased ages ago and I'm managed to forget the outrageous price. That said, it is beautifully smooth and much nicer feeling than many of the Chinese knockoffs.

The two flush screws attach the lower spindle ring rather than the QCTP. The toolpost is attached by a 1/2-20 SHCS down its centre. The mounting screw goes into a steel insert rather than directly into the aluminum of the spindle mounting.

If you put the RT on the right then everything is reversed for conversational usage plus the motor is in the front and...

The mount is 6061 except for the steel insert mentioned above.

I'm unsure what exactly you mean by "alignment" but yes, there are no special adjustments.

Quote Originally Posted by kstrauss View Post
    Yes, it is a Dorian Super QCTP. I was purchased ages ago and I'm managed to forget the outrageous price.
    I was afraid of that - looks expensive. I'm horrible at the Price is Right, but if I had to make a guess, $300 - $400?

Reg. alignment, I was referring to pages 26-29 of the RT manual that deals with aligning the tool post to the RT. I think I see now how yours is adjustable since it's only held in by the one screw so you can leave that loose to adjust the angle of the post, and you can spin the whole contraption on the spindle to get it squared up with the RT.

I'm in Canada and we have small dollars. The current list price from KBC Tools is cdn$586.55. I believe it was purchased when they had a 20% off sale so ~cdn$475 or us$360. You can probably find it for less than us$300. Chinese clones of wedge type AXA QCTP are available for $100 or so. In my experience the clone AXA tool holders are excellent value at less than $20 each.

Correct, the whole contraption can be rotated. Other than for threading and drilling the exact angle doesn't really matter.