584,857 active members*
4,544 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > Space Requirements for Haas TM-1

Space Requirements for Haas TM-1

I'm shopping for a used 2009 Haas TM-1 for my residential garage shop.

My overhead door is 7ft. ( I understand that I can partially disassemble the machine to get it under that door )

My question is my ceiling height in the garage. It's 104"

On the Haas website it's showing the height for that machine at 106"

So my question...... is there any wiggle room on that 106" ?

I'm just concerned with banging that wire harness against the ceiling anytime the Z axis moves all the way up.

Worse case scenario I could remove some of my metal ceiling panels and retrofit a little pocket in the ceiling to gain a little space.

Any feedback would be great.

Thanks,

Kent

Re: Space Requirements for Haas TM-1

I just measured my TM2, it's about 106 to the top of the flex conduit going to the spindle. The spindle drive resistor housing (removable) is about 7 ft 4 inches. The machine frame is about 3 inches off the floor on the leveling pads. You might be able to just slide it under a 7 ft door. I think you might need a bit more room above the flex conduit, but it is pretty flexible so you maybe have a couple of inches there.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

About 1 full garage bay to get around it to service it and you may need to frame an opening in above the spindle if you have low ceilings in the garage.

Thanks for the Info Kenny...

I have spent a lot of time looking at what I wanted to buy to replace my current set up and it was on they short list with the Mini Mill. I have opted to go with neither but had gathered all the information and put them all into a 3d space to see how it looked.

Thanks much for taking the time to do the measuring of your machine Jim.... This will help me out big time...

just out of curiosity what type of machine did you end up going with..? or maybe stayed with your current setup?

I'm currently using a Prolight 1000 machine, and just looking to make the next step into a more powerful machine.

I've considered a Tormach, but are leaning towards a Haas.

I was considering the Haas Mini, but like the larger bed on the TM1

Thanks again...

Kent

I am in the process of placing an order for a Skyfire SVM-2VMC. It fits my current situation better than the others. I specifically wanted and all linear way machine but needed to retain my current foot print as space requirements in the current house leaves the machine having to fit in a 3 car garage with the cars. This won't be a requirement when we build the new house in a couple years. Other things I decided I didn't want to contend with was 3 phase power or the need for a phase converter. It's a personal hobby machine so I just couldn't convince myself that the additional horsepower would matter. I'm into my current setup very inexpensively as I wanted to make sure I could learn how to do it before diving in to deep financially. It's not my career so 30 to 45k for a new machine and all the things that would go around it didn't make sense to me either. The SVM-2VMC ticks all the boxes for what I need.

1. Small foot print. It will need to live against the back garage wall for a bit so it has to fit where my current mill enclosure fits.

2. Overall height has to be lower than the wall mounted cabinets.

3. All linear ways.

4. Runs on single phase 220.

The tool changer, more horsepower. more rigidity and bigger Y and Z travels compared to my current mill will be a plus. The Adtech controller doesn't currently support part probing so that is a feature I am losing from my current setup. I am just waiting on a final cost estimate from them before I pull the trigger.

I will definitely checkout the Skyfire...

Your shop is a bit more organized that mine that's for sure !!!

Take Care...

Kent

If you have the space,budget and available power the Haas should be on the top of your list. It's US made and I like to support our local businesses when I can. They just don't have anything currently that meets my space and budget needs. Even in the used market I can't really make one fit and that at the least points to how well they hold their value.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Duval View Post
    I am just waiting on a final cost estimate from them before I pull the trigger.
    I'd be interested to know what they quote you on the machine. I'm sure others on here would be curious, as well!

If there is no clause in the purchase agreement that say I am not allowed to disclose it I will be happy to share. They did send me the current price list via the U.S. distributor. I'm not sure what's up for negotiation in terms of pricing but everything in the list is reasonable in my opinion for the product being purchased. Again it's not in the same ball park with even the Haas Mini Mill but it fits the needs of certain users.

I was just wondering about the ballpark price, really, so that's perfect. It looks like they are a little less than Tormach, depending on options? Let us know how the machine works for you, for sure!

I've been watching DCTteacher's youtube clips on his recent purchase of a similar Skyfire mill. I know he's had some minor issues with its pneumatics, but I'd rather have one of those than any size Tormach due to the linear ways and BT30 spindle. The skyfire's foreign controller is probably a downside, but myself I prefer a dedicated controller compared to a PC/windows-based system (merely my preference).
    https://www.youtube.com/user/DCTTeacher1

Skyfire's big alternative seems to be the company Syil CNC. Have you checked those machines?

I don't have any firsthand experience running a single phase Haas, but I'd love to hear from anyone that runs a mill that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Ydna View Post

I don't have any firsthand experience running a single phase Haas, but I'd love to hear from anyone that runs a mill that way.
    I have TM-2P running on single phase and it runs just fine. They were designed to run on single phase as well as 3 phase. About the only time that the spindle is not running at 6K RPM is rigid tapping or using large face mills.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

I'm considering the purchase of a new TM-1P or possibly a TM-2P. I looked at the concrete specs for the metal building where I was planning to locate the machine and by design its supposed to be 4" thick (with 12" beams) and has a 3000 PSI strength rating. That is slightly different from what Haas requires (3500 PSI per their web site), has anyone had any problems with slab failure under their machines? Any opinions as to whether this would present a problem?

I have a TM-2P sitting on what is basically a residential 3 1/2 inch garage floor and it hasn't cracked in the about 3 months it has been running there. A few feet from the Haas is a 10,200 lb CNC lathe, it hasn't gone through the floor yet either in the 8 months it has been sitting there. The forklift however has taken a toll on the floor.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Friend of mine had an SMM in his attached garage, and the 3" floor cracked underneath it at some point. However nothing says it wasn't a coincidence, since he also had some other heavy equipment in there such as a 4-post car hoist.

Thanks to all for the info.