585,987 active members*
4,436 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Hardly any used Tormachs for sale?

Hardly any used Tormachs for sale?

Probably the wrong place to post this question but good lord is it difficult to find any used Tormachs for sale. Is this because they make such a great machine or something else?

Re: Hardly any used Tormachs for sale?

People like them. They are a good machine and serve their purpose well and the lack of used units for sale is a direct reflection of that fact.

My PCNC 1100 will be 7 years one in July and all I have ever done is run it.

Is it as good as something like a Haas? No it’s not, but it didn’t cost $75,000.00 either.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

Imho
    Decent grade tool with good support, accessory options, upgrades and long term development. Couple that with basically free CAD/CAM and a easy to use machine controller, you end up with something very handy to have in a shop. Also with so many users the product /tool base will get bigger. I see new fixturing and tooling all the time for these machines that improves the process of getting something done.

Also, I think the target market matters. If you buy a mill as a hobby, it's OK if you don't use it every day. You know that when your family breaks the handle on the out-of-warranty dishwasher, you have the ability to make a new one! Given that these machines are, in these cases, bought for pleasure, not for profitable businesses, the incentive to sell rather than keep is probably less.

I purchased a used on a few years ago. They come up every once in a while. If you are in a hurry, just buy a new one. If you can wait months to years, you can get a good deal on a used one. I see some of the used ones for sale for what you could buy a new one for, but there are also more motivated sellers out there. I don't think most hobbyists would part with them willingly, but if people need to downsize, CNC milling machines tend to not make the move and have to be sold. I've purchased many accesories for mine over the years used at discount prices. One interesting thing I've seen is that TTS toolholders typicaly go for new prices or even above what you can get them for from Tormach on the auction stite we all know an love.

Quote Originally Posted by Renk View Post
    Probably the wrong place to post this question but good lord is it difficult to find any used Tormachs for sale. Is this because they make such a great machine or something else?
    True back when, true now. I spent a year around 10 years ago looking for a used one. Saw maybe two. Situation hasn't changed in a decade.

Yes, they are that good. And they hold value. For the price of a used machine, you'd be as well off to buy a new one. Might save 25% or so, probably not much more and could be less. What's your time worth?

Part of it may be that they're often owned by people with no incentive to sell. They work, the support is legendary, and so far Tormach makes it easy (and cheap) to upgrade. Sales seem to come from estates and upgrades. I can tell you for sure, mine will just get inherited.