584,842 active members*
4,491 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > CNC Swiss Screw Machines > Mastercam Swiss Expert vs Esprit

Mastercam Swiss Expert vs Esprit

We are looking at cam software to program a pair of Star SR-38's. I am looking at Esprit which seems to come the most highly reccomended and Mastercam Swiss expert. We currently use Mastercanm for all our other machines, but our local Mcam house does not seem to support Swiss expert. And I really can't find much info on it online either. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Re: Mastercam Swiss Expert vs Esprit

You can program your swiss with just a regular subspindle lathe machine def in Mastercam lathe. I would only look at swiss expert if you really needed your posted programs to be ready to run with no editing. You would have to weigh the cost of the new software vs how many different part programs you are going to be making I guess. I dont write that many new swiss programs a year so I just stitch them together by hand.

Tsugami gives away programming software with their machines. It is good on the different funky codes and stuff, but for chucker work at least the machining strategies were garbage.

Dont forget, you will need a post for your machine. Any money spent on swiss cam would be a waste without a post that generates a program that needs no editing. IMO

That is what my company wants.....programming that hits the floor ready to go. Esprit said they have a post for the machines we are wanting to purchase. I just have seen a decent amount of people say they feel that even with swiss expert Mcam is not the way to go with swiss

Thanks for posting this! We have all Citizens, and I use Mastercam for all design, getting points, etc. We are looking at jobs that are going to require 3D work, and have started discussing software. It seems like Mastercam bought out Sylvie just to say, "hey look, we've got Swiss also." I see no Swiss Expert training classes from our resellers website. I know it's going to be a learning curve either way. It would be nice to have a demo of either software to try out so you could make a decision based on your own "feel" for it. ----------- John :cheers:

Quote Originally Posted by jptech View Post
    Thanks for posting this! We have all Citizens, and I use Mastercam for all design, getting points, etc. We are looking at jobs that are going to require 3D work, and have started discussing software. It seems like Mastercam bought out Sylvie just to say, "hey look, we've got Swiss also." I see no Swiss Expert training classes from our resellers website. I know it's going to be a learning curve either way. It would be nice to have a demo of either software to try out so you could make a decision based on your own "feel" for it. ----------- John :cheers:

I spoke with mastercam this morning and they no longer distribute or support Swiss expert

I also had a web demo of Esprit and myself and my two colleagues were very impressed and will be pursuing the purchase of Esprit for the Swiss and May also look at expanding it elsewhere in the company. I highly recommend d contacting Drew Peek at Esprit to at least get a web demo

Thank You! Looks like Espirit is the only game in town now! I was going to have them both come in and do a demo. I guess the decision is easier now!
    Thanks again! --------------- John :cheers:

i use esprit daily, on swiss, millturn, and mills. i will say once you have a library of processes built and you have a set strategy you can post code that is ready to run. i have a few personal prefrences on how i like my code to look andeven that is only deleting 2 lines of code they put in.

I'm a sole believer in Esprit for Swiss and Millturn lathes. I worked in the quad cities programming Citizen Swiss lathes and once the posts were tweaked Esprit worked great with no hand editing. I used Esprit for turning and milling in the past and picked up Swiss very easily. I needed more training on the wait codes than how to program the machines. The only drawback to Esprit swiss is the simulation models are out of date so I completely modeled all the machines and created perfect simulation. Also I modeled all the tooling and came up with a unique way to import tooling in the simulation. I could go on and on about Esprit because I used it for 10 years. The support forum was awesome and Esprit techs very helpful. Jason Mello is the go to guy for Swiss... Here's a few pics of the Citizen models..

If you want to ease your way into swiss you could do it with the regular mastercam lathe product that you already have.

I post and do zero manual edits. When I do need to make an edit,I make sure the mastercam file is updated and current - then repost and throw it back on the machine.

It's not fancy, but it works awesome.

I made a quick page with some pictures early on when I was working on the post.
    https://sites.google.com/a/gilmachin...acy_lathe_post

There are other developments now at CNC software for those who want to use mastercam to program swiss machines. Send me a message if you want to discuss.

hello i recently started, for the 1st time, a gang Citizen L12 with Mitsubushi cnc & IEMCA Elite 112 bar feeder :

... custom toolpaths with mapped feedrates ( faster when roughing, slower when chamfering, etc )
    ... for a single tool, besides master offset, there are 3 more corections inside the program, editable by parameters
    ... shifting from abso to incremental coordinates
    ... override rapid speed and acceleration ( before it was a bit too bumpy; now it is smooth )
    ... replacing a G231 ( default cycle for cutting-off with the part clamped by both spindles ) with long-hand code, to achieve better control
    ... replacing a M34 ( default cycle for part dropp off into the bascket ) with long-hand, to achieve better control
    ... feeder is no longer touching the cutt-off insert, but a solid toolholder; thus, the insert is no longer under the ' pushing stress ' caused by the feeder
    ... using T ( tool ) comand toghether with QW, etc, so to shorten the non-cutting movements ( positioning travel, between operations, is reduced )
    ... messing my head with a feeder-macro that was not working; now it works
    ... whatever else ...

such stuff can not be delivered by CAM

i made many program variants, testing, going back to the PC, changing something, and back to the cnc to verify how the changes perform ...

i have soubroutines for common operations, and the possibility to draw custom toolpaths that i convert to G-code

i would consider a CAM only for complex shapes

when machining series, there are problems, and i can't blame the CAM for them; i mean if a CAM was my last option, i would definetly consider it, but there are many other things that i have to consider, and those are not CAM related

again, depends on part complexity, setup stability, how long will be the setup on the machine, are there optimized CAM templates ? , etc / kindly
    Ladyhawke - My Delirium, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_bFO1SNRZg

Well we have decided to purchase Esprit. I actually go to Charlotte on the 25th for training. After having a web demo we feel that it is going to excel at programming swiss over Mcam and we will venture into trying it on a few of our other machines as well.

I have programmed and ran swiss but i programmed long hand.

cbr_speedster does it except solid tool models from the manufacturer well? And can I just kind of drop the tools in place? And will they teach that in class?

The beginner class of Esprit will review machine setup and creating templates for each machine but probably won't cover much on tool holder setup. I had to model the tool holders and how to place them. Like I said, the machine models aren't the greatest for simulation probably because of the vast majority and types of machines out there. The simulation doesn't even show main and sub material collets, I did all that myself. Show them my post with the pictures and they might be able to help. Good luck..

GO2CAM is a French software that we have used for years. It is really a nice tool. Their team are on the ball and they have a sexy GUI
    Please consider them. Contact Eric or N'deye and tell them your Australian forum friend send you