584,327 active members*
6,443 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Dmm Technology > DYN4 1.8kw 400V 3phase

Post DYN4 1.8kw 400V 3phase

Hi, All

Is anyone using the DYN4 with European 400v 3phase?

Germany has 400v 50Hz 3phase supply

DE L1=220v 50Hz
    DE L2=220v 50Hz
    DE L3=220v 50Hz
    DE N =Neutral (connected to Ground at property incoming supply)
    DE PE = Ground (Ground by property)

Anybody using split phases and Neutral across X,Y,Z Axis?

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1182.jpg   IMG_1187.jpg   IMG_1150.jpg  

Re: DYN4 1.8kw 400V 3phase

I would send an email to DMM tech support. They are very responsive. What you want to do makes sense, but that would mean''L2'' on the drive going to ground. And I'm not sure how that would work. It would depend on the internal wiring of the drive. The question is: Can ''L2'' on the drive be connected to the PE?
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Post Re: DYN4 1.8kw 400V 3phase

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    I would send an email to DMM tech support. They are very responsive. What you want to do makes sense, but that would mean''L2'' on the drive going to ground. And I'm not sure how that would work. It would depend on the internal wiring of the drive. The question is: Can ''L2'' on the drive be connected to the PE?
    Hi Jim

Yes this is true, but only as a safety back to the consumer unit to cut power in a lost Neutral situation.

L1 or L2 or L3 is used with the same Neutral to give 240v as Two Wire Power.

L1,L2,L3 (R,S,T) gives 400v Three Phase Power, using Three Wires.

The reason i ask is the DYN4 Amp ratings are high, a European wall socket (CEE 7/7 plug) 240V 50Hz only supplies up to 16Amps.

To use Three DYN4 drives, plus a CNC controller with all the extras such as Coolant, Mist, ATC etc, quickly adds up.

My Question remains are people using 16Amp, 32Amp, 64Amp 400v 3phase sockets as pictured? or larger single phase blue sockets?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CeeLtd View Post
    Hi, All

Is anyone using the DYN4 with European 400v 3phase?

Germany has 400v 50Hz 3phase supply

DE L1=220v 50Hz
    DE L2=220v 50Hz
    DE L3=220v 50Hz
    DE N =Neutral (connected to Ground at property incoming supply)
    DE PE = Ground (Ground by property)

Anybody using split phases and Neutral across X,Y,Z Axis?

Thanks
    Your question is anyone using the DYN4 with European 400v 3phase

The answer is No, your DYN4 is 100- 240V Single Phase or 3 Phase only, so is only 240v max measured across any 2 phases, or for Single Phase, Hot 240V to Neutral

If you want to use your 3Phase supply, then you would need a step down transformer

Single Phase you can run, using your 220v supply Neutral and Ground, ( make sure your model number is for single phase as the snip below )

You could use your highest rated plug if you wanted too, as long as you are only drawing single phase 240v max , although the 32 amp plug should work fine for your main supply
    Mactec54

I would use the 64 amp plug, if a plug is required.

In actual operation the amp draw of the DYN4 drives is small, but the inrush when power is applied is very large. That is why DMM specifies a 50 amp breaker for the mains when operating on single phase. I am running four of the DYN4 1.8 KW drives on my lathe, but on 240V 3 phase, supplied by one 50 amp breaker, then to a 30 amp breaker for each drive. But I energize the contactors individually with a 1 second delay between them. If I energized all 4 drives at the same time it would maybe trip the main breaker.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Your question is anyone using the DYN4 with European 400v 3phase

Single Phase you can run, using your 220v supply Neutral and Ground, ( make sure your model number is for single phase as the snip below )
    Hi, mactec54

I think my question is still being misunderstood, I am asking does anyone in Europe wire the DYN4 as follows?

X Axis
    L1+N+PE

Y Axis
    L2+N+PE

Z Axis
    L3+N+PE

The purpose to the above is to balance the phases of the property incoming electricity supply.

i also agree it would be an advantage to wire in a startup delay to each axis to limit inrush current
    Thanks
    Carl

Quote Originally Posted by CeeLtd View Post
    Hi, mactec54

I think my question is still being misunderstood, I am asking does anyone in Europe wire the DYN4 as follows?

X Axis
    L1+N+PE

Y Axis
    L2+N+PE

Z Axis
    L3+N+PE

The purpose to the above is to balance the phases of the property incoming electricity supply.

i also agree it would be an advantage to wire in a startup delay to each axis to limit inrush current
    Thanks
    Carl
    Yes that would work to balance the incoming Power Supply, so each drive would have it's own supply, I have split the phases like that before also, there is very little inrush current to worry about, I have run them on 20Amp MCCB and they never have tripped
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    I would use the 64 amp plug, if a plug is required.

In actual operation the amp draw of the DYN4 drives is small, but the inrush when power is applied is very large. That is why DMM specifies a 50 amp breaker for the mains when operating on single phase. I am running four of the DYN4 1.8 KW drives on my lathe, but on 240V 3 phase, supplied by one 50 amp breaker, then to a 30 amp breaker for each drive. But I energize the contactors individually with a 1 second delay between them. If I energized all 4 drives at the same time it would maybe trip the main breaker.

Big lathe

I would say the inrush you are seeing is from your transformers, won't be very much for the servo drives, if you have it wired correct

It's the peak current those big motors are capable of using is why you use a 50Amp Breaker or MCCB, the 30Amp you are using may be border line for the 1.8 motor as they have a peak of 36 amps
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Big lathe

I would say the inrush you are seeing is from your transformers, won't be very much for the servo drives, if you have it wired correct

It's the peak current those big motors are capable of using is why you use a 50Amp Breaker or MCCB, the 30Amp you are using may be border line for the 1.8 motor as they have a peak of 36 amps
    The 1.5 KVA control power transformer is switched in long before the drives are energized, and that is the only transformer in the system. The transformer is energized on main switch power up. There is a huge inrush on main power up when energizing the 10 HP spindle VFD, which is connected directly to the 100 amp main breaker.

As far as the drive breakers, I just went with the manufacturer recommended C curve breakers. The live tooling and turret drives are disabled until needed, so it is normally only the X and Z axes doing anything. Hopefully the X and Z will not hit anywhere near peak power under normal operating conditions. I would guess that a simultaneous 400 IPM rapid move on the X and Z axes would put the maximum load on the system during acceleration, and so far it has been working fine. The 1.8 KW motors are almost double the power of the original Fanuc servos. I could have used a much smaller drive on the turret, but decided to use the same motors throughout the machine just for consistency.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Hello Carl,

For the power, I have confirmed that just connect any 220V leg and Neutral.
    So this will be a 220VAC single phase input.
    Connect the 220V leg into the DYN4 R and L1 and Neutral leg into the DYN4 S and L2.

This is the noise filter we recommend for the DYN4 L1 L2 line: https://www.digikey.com/products/en?...817-1276-ND%20

Regards,

Michael Tien [CO/M1]
    Operations

DMM Technology Corp.
    120-21320 Gordon Way Richmond, British Columbia V6W1J9 Canada
    Phone: +1(604)370-4168 | Fax: +1(604)285-1989
    Email: [email protected]
    Sales: [email protected] | Support: [email protected]