584,860 active members*
5,148 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Cincinnati CNC > "I" drive not available - 9067

"I" drive not available - 9067

Dear All,

As much as I love my Cincinnati Arrow 750, it's driving me nuts!
    I program everything (and I mean everything) offline with my CAM software and have done so for at least the last 6 years.
    I'm getting an error when calling up drive "I" (RS232A - Background edit - drive select - option 4). I use CNC_COM to sort out the transfer etc. It started just last week when the system stopped mid program and the control then showed the error. I changed the PC I use as the slave machine and the first time I turned it on to try it, it worked. I then restructured my file system to how I like it and then it failed again. Pig sick of the whole situation, I turned the machine off for the weekend. The following week I reinstalled the original slave PC because it had other stuff on it I use and everything worked again. It worked fine until this morning, same problem.
    I checked the cable connections (again) wiggled this and that but no go. I'm fairly sure the PC is OK and the cable that connects it to the machine. So I have concluded it must be a fault within the main cabinet (der) but which bit?

Any ideas or comments on tests etc would be most welcome.

Please don't say "program it manually" as I machine a lot of 3D forms many thousands of lines long. (and I have forgotten how to).

Thanks,

RHK

Re: "I" drive not available - 9067

Install a network card in the machine.

Hi, Thanks for your response. I shall look into it. It started working again this morning but its doing some strange things in the file management that I haven't seen it do before.

Regards,

RHK

I did a network install on my 750 today, and it's excellent!

I chose a 3Com Etherlink III ISA card, since I could find the driver for that specific card in the NT4 network adapter list.
    Configured it with IRQ 11 and fixed IP crosswired to a laptop running Win7.

I'll be happy to do a detailed how-to write-up if necessary.

Cheers.

Hi Larspeed, I am constantly amazed at the clever people like you who can do these things! My particular problem solved its self somehow. I went through all that I could to no avail but it started working again a few days after I'd given up so I could earn some money on my other CNC.
    I would be interested how you done as I haven't a clue.
    Thanks,
    RHK.

Hello again, Sir!

Yes, I feel likewise and urge to contribute with what I might come across -( in this neverending quest of avoiding being stuck with a Cincinnati paper weight in the shop/shed

Here goes;

1. Find a suitable TCP/IP network card and install it in one of the available ISA slots on the A2100 bridge board.

2. Power up the controller.
    Go to Program Manager -> Control Panel -> Network Settings and click 'Add adapter'

Pick the adapter in the drop down menu to install it.

Configure as shown;

Add TCP/IP software;

3. Restart controller (A2100) and hit F1-key on boot-up to enter BIOS settings.
    Go to 'Advanced' and choose 'Plug & Play (Pray?) Configuration'.
    Set IRQ 11 to 'Used by ISA card'.
    Save and exit to reboot.

4. When A2100 has started, go to 'Network Settings' again and choose TCP/IP Protocol this time.

Configure as shown;

Restart A2100 again and connect a crossed configured/terminated network cable between the A2100 and the (in my case) Win7 laptop.

5. In win7, go to the 'Local Area Connection Properties' and choose Internet Protocol Version 4;

Configure as shown;

(Had to divide the post - Max 15 images allowed)

6. You should now be able to browse the shared folders on the A2100;

Under 'User' I created a folder named 'NC' to upload files to from the win7 laptop.

Now you can upload files to this folder and transfer them to 'NC Part Programs' by selecting 'Browse...' in the 'Transfer programs' menu.

The end

I will also add that you DO NOT need to have the networking option purchased to do this, and there is also a way to run large programs if you do not have the maximum storage option purchased as well.