I’m in the middle of building my CNC router. My electronics are just sitting on a desk here and I’ve been trying to get this to work for a few days. Even with no added resistance my motors seems to be constantly gaining steps. Around 2-5 degrees per rotation (4mm jog). The longer I rotate in one direction the more steps it goes out of whack even without stopping in between. There is a ticking sound coming from the motors 4 or 5 times a second. like driving on gravel. Guessing this is skipping.
It’s not like I’m accelerating or decelerating fast. Set to 30.
Speed set to 500mm/minute max, and no load on the motor really. I’ve tried stopping it by hand but it creates the same amount of missteps.
I have the “Enable” pins not hooked up so it does go into low power holding mode when stopping.
It’s all cheap ebay stuff from China.
TB6600 - I’ve found 1 link claiming that version of these have an H-bridge which some are saying is not a good way to run a stepper. And I also read GRBL does not support H-bridge drivers, yet I see dozens of people running these on youtube. What's the deal with H-bridges? I don't even know what they do.
Nema 23 - 76mm 269oz
Arduino Mega2560 - I’m using the Mega2560 specific GRBL software with GRBL 1.1f, and Gcode Sender 1.9 (I also tried 2.0 nightly because I heard 1.1f compatible with that)
36v PSU
I’ve tried almost everything I can think of:
-Changing step size does nothing, and neither does the increasing AMP rating
-It gets worse with bigger steps, such as full steps.
-Added shielded wire to the 4 motor wires.
-I’ve tried lowering the baud rate, although the motor won’t respond no more, even though I can connect to the Arduino Mega with it lowered and I get the connection confirmation message.
-Tried switching out the motor and driver for a different one of the same kinds (have 3 total).
-I’ve tried using a RAMPS shield, but could only get the motor to move in both directions when jogging. Went in same direction for + and -.
…other things I can’t recall.

I’m not running any design. I’m simply jogging the motor to see if it responds accordingly.

Are my drivers just crap? Is it a software or hardware problem? What else could I be missing?