585,885 active members*
6,454 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Community Club House > Allocating room for a new hobby machine shop

Question Allocating room for a new hobby machine shop

Hi Everyone,
    Not sure if this is the right place to post, but...

How much room should I allocate for my hobby machine shop? Let me clarify. I'm in the planning stages for a shop for working on my cars (too many to count!), but I want to allocate a decent amount of room for my hobby machining room (2 mini mills, lathe, welding equipment, woodworking tools, small casting furnace, and materials). Nothing too big. However, cars will take up a lot of space, and I don't want to shortchange their space, either. The cars will be in the building for security and protection.

The overall building pad will be 50x100, and the walls made out of cinder blocks, and hopefully with a clear span without support beams in the middle. Too bad metal buildings have gotten so expensive. I was thinking of something like 50x15 for the machine shop, because it will surely grow in the future. Of the people who have a smoothly functioning machine shop for 1 or 2 people, who has a good recommendation on size? None of the tools will be used all of the time, but it would be nice not to have to move tools around for every unique cut or weld that needs to be made. I guess it is a question of efficiency.

One other question: What are the "must haves" and the "nice to haves" for my new machining room? I plan on having a 200A meter put in, as well as a lot of lighting and power plugs all over the place. Is there anything else that I really must have at first? I'm sure ventilation is a high priority, as well as the necessary safety equipment and sound insulation. Anything else I should shoot for that will make life much easier?

Thanks for any opinions, and thanks for reading my lengthy questions. I just wanted to get some experienced opinions, because this building is going to cost a pretty penny. I just want to get it right the first time!

Billy

Well, if NM is New Mexico (excuse me but I do not know the acronyms for the US States, only guessing) i think you really will enjoy air conditioning for the summer, or the summer sun added to the sound insulation may cost you a lot of sweat.. or kill your electronics .

Other thing interesting is some kind of network wiring to your main PC, it will save you a lot of travels.

Hope it helps

/U

Yes, NM is New Mexico. Air conditioning would be nice... maybe a future thing since I'm quite acclimated to the desert. I can't believe I forgot about networking cables! I just added that to my list.

Thanks,

Billy

15 foot wide should be plenty of room for a small - non-commercial workspace; the 50-fort length is probably over kill. Since this is going to be inside the larger structure why not allocate a space 25x15 and provide for a movable end wall length wise so you could expand easily if needed.

Also if you have not already considered it, do your self a favor and keep the air compressor out of it.

Ken

Thanks, 25x15 sounds pretty good right now. I forgot about the air compressors, which will have to go into a sound deadened area. Since the structure will be concrete and cinder blocks, sound deadening is imperitive. Dropping a tool sounds like a gun going off.

I think I'll have a basic floorplan submitted by next week, and hopefully the basic foundation slab done within a month or so... I can hardly wait! Maybe within a year or so, I'll be able to call it a shop.

Does anyone know where sample floorplans can be seen online? Or even pictures of different shops? I'm curious how tools are laid out in a smoothly running shop (I've only been in a real shop twice, and it was a clutter-- but it had HUGE lathes and mills that probably required a small crane to move!)

Billy

i have a similar setup - 1 minimill -2 drillpresses,lathe,vacuum forming machine, big work tables, air compressors, etc.

i have them in my kitchen. its a largish room... like 25x25 or something, but the machines fit nicely in 1 half or so of the room. really what it is: get as much room as you can. you can always setup an office, lounge, etc. in the spare space.. also, its nie to have racks and racks of shelving! shelving is so important. budget for it. I didnt\dont and everything is a cosntant mess. I need $500 for shelves!! damnit. However, i have absoluetly no $$ on account of being an unemployed art student.. damnit. damnit. meanwhile my intellectualy inferior friends are making 65k/yr installing network hubs and ****e.

if you really want a blue print, i could make a thread and post some photos.. i may have a chart too. i drew one once, long ago.
    Design & Development
    My Portfolio: www.robertguyser.com | CAD Blog I Contribute to: http://www.jeffcad.info

after reading your post I have some more suggestions..

1- Get a cart to keep tools you use in multiple locations on - i moved all my drill bits, end mills, and other spinning devices into a rack on a cart, and put all my power-saw blades and other linear cutting devices on shelves in the bootom.. Take time to build bit-holders. They are annoying to make, but can provide real efficiency in finding a tool. Vises work good for this.

2- Big plastic bins, bought on sale are great for organising a shop. The reason the shop you visited was so messy is probably because its owner never learned how to organize stuff. I like rubber-maixd style bins. Ive gotten the bg ones for $3 before on sale. Plan on buying like 20 of those. Really.. I keep old projects and molds in them, all my stinky chemicals, etc.

3- did i mention shelving?

4- I keep my lathe, mill, drill presses near each other, in a corner of my space. That way I can do several operations quickly. Its also goiod because thats where the vises end up .

5- Build stuff yourself you cant affoard. Instead of spending $250 on the cheapest Tool cart from MCmasterCrr or whatever, spend $40 on good caster-wheels and some good cabinet parts. Make your work benches. Make them so you can replace the tops! I found 8x4x.75" MDF type wood for 12$ and use that to make tables... 2 per table top. very nice in my DIY cheap-skate oppinion.

there are tons of these.. for every 100 posts you read on this board, you can probably save yourself $50 if you follow the links and search the archives and stuff. Good luck.
    Design & Development
    My Portfolio: www.robertguyser.com | CAD Blog I Contribute to: http://www.jeffcad.info

I have a 24' x 42' shop and you never have enough room to add like one really wants .
    thanks Kenneth
    www.lambertsrc.com

Thanks for the replies. Shelving and storage will be a big concern, and I will probably end up making a lot of the bins. Luckily, there is a scrap metal place nearby that gets decent material, and it is about $0.08/pound.

vacpress, I know the feeling: I'm a part time student and part time programmer (not the well paid type, either), so I have to take it easy with my budget. I had to sell all of my company stock that I earned when I worked full time just to get the down payment on the land the shop will sit on.

DIY is definitely for me!