584,871 active members*
5,052 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Shopmaster/Shoptask > Mill Turn - Limit and home switches

Mill Turn - Limit and home switches

After thinking about it for a while, I decided to install limit switches on my Mill Turn machine. I found only one or two examples of limit switches installed on Shopmaster machines and nothing on the Mill Turn machine. I'm still not sure how useful limit switches will be, but I have crashed all of the movements at one time or another even though I use soft limits.

My goals for the addition of the switches were as follows;

1) Robust- Able to withstand long term use without being fiddley or impeding the full movement of the machine.

2) Coolant proof- I often times use flood coolant.

3) Switches must be out of the way of the tailstock movement or the steady rest (if installed).

The switches are relatively cheap, Chinese made, and purchased from Ebay. They have a seal and claim to be waterproof. The double shielded 18/2 AWG wire was the most expensive component at $5 a foot and was sized to be water tight in the switch strain relief rubber grommets. Being deathly afraid of breaking a drill or tap off in a machine casting, I purchased name brand USA made drills and taps and had no problems whatsoever.

Homing in action video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmd63skpqUg

Re: Mill Turn - Limit and home switches

Greetings Goodlett

I recently found a second hand mill / turn on craigslist and am going through the machine to check tolerances, alignment and such.
    Limit switches seem like a wise safety update.
    I'd guess your switch circuit is serial ?
    Would you mind posting diagrams of your switch circuit and possibly screen shots of the Mach 3 set up ?

Thanks much
    Steve

Limit switches do add to the safety somewhat but they are no guarantee by any means. They are valuable in setting up work offsets too. Each pair of switches on an axis is wired in series and normally closed. In other words, when the machine hits a switch it opens the circuit. My 2017 machine is set up with inputs on the rear panel (see photo) and I used the included RCA plugs. Mach 3 setup was trial and error but not difficult. I attached a couple of photos of the setup screens.

Hope it helps

Glenn

Thanks Glenn

Another piece of the puzzle to help set this machine up.

Steve