584,833 active members*
5,770 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Rhinocam > Rhinocam version choice

Rhinocam version choice

Hi, I'm a hobby guy with a good CNC 3-axis mill that I can use to make model aircraft moulds, but I don't understand the complexities of CNC.

I have been using Rhino and Madcam with pretty good success but I do get regular bugs with certain types of cuts. I've been wondering whether I should consider changing to Rhinocam?? (all advice/ criticism welcomed!).

If choosing a Rhinocam version, the Xpress mill version is cheap, but is it correct that it does not include Z level finish cuts, choice of contour/ parallel etc, or remachining? These are things I regularly use when trying to cut complex 3D shapes very accurately.

Does the standard version include all these options? Or do need to go to the full version??

Any advice appreciated. Thanks, Andrew.

Re: Rhinocam version choice

Hello, I work with MecSoft, developer of RhinoCAM.
    Z level finishing (Horizontal Finishing) is not included in Xpress configuration. This is available starting with Standard.
    Z level roughing (Horizontal Roughing) & Parallel finishing - is included in all configurations.
    Re-machining and other advanced 3 axis machining methods are only available in Pro & Premium configurations.
    Feel free to click the Feature list tab at https://mecsoft.com/rhinocam-mill/ for a detailed comparison of all features in each configuration.

Best regards,
    Quelly del Mundo

Any software have bugs. RC too.
    Last one boring me is time to time it ignores side slots in curves created by boolean. This problem appears in 2016 and they not fix it yet.
    Also it have bug with first XY pass feed reduce, it affect first cut level only. All other lever will be cut at full speed.
    Another one - when you choose Skim instead of Clearance plane, RC ignore stock between cut areas causing tool break.
    It takes a lot of memory when calculating TP, and using same single core with rhino, all other taking rest meanwhile.
    Simulation cause RC crash if you choose mesh sym model. Voxtel sym model looks badly.
    You cannot capture screenshot of simulation - it's invisible for Rhino. Also i cannot export simulation result as stl - RC crash.
    BTW, for TP creation it using rough mesh created by Rhino for display and render. If you change mesh settings in Rhino all TP created by RhinoCAM may disappoint you.
    And many many more.
    Comparing with MadCAM RhinoCAM have more friendly interface.
    IMHO.

Hello Melkiades,

I would suggest sending your problem requests directly to [email protected]. Our support department would be able to help you with altering settings in the product to alleviate some of the issues you mention or help with some functionality that you may think is missing in the product. Also I would like to point out that we have our 2018 product out in production for almost a year now and are readying our 2019 product for release. We have implemented numerous enhancements and fixed quite a few bugs since the 2016 product and so might be worth taking another look. You can download a free demo at our site or by clicking here: https://mecsoft.com/demo-rhinocam/

Thanks for taking the time to post your impressions on the product.

Thank you, but this reply was my personal opinion about your product, not a claim.
    And it was addressed to Andrew.
    Few month before you recommend me to be registered at your forum to post my bugreports.
    I was quite surprised, because Russia was banned by Mecsoft since 2014.
    I tried pass registration, but your moderator too far away, or just ignored me.
    I don't want contact your support, because all this bugs may me corrected by tp or rhino tools. I know how it can be done.
    Best regards.