584,830 active members*
5,698 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Dyna Mechtronics > EZ DM3000 Retrofit Box is a success!

Hybrid View

EZ DM3000 Retrofit Box is a success!

Just thought I would give a review and update on the EZ DM3000 Retrofit Box by Turbina, a member her eon CNC ZONE. He started a post back in November of 2016 about a retro fit box he was building from ground up that would allow a DM3000 lathe to operate with Mach 3 with just a plug N play of the factory cable from the skip controller into his retro box. In fact you can actually switch quickly and easily back and forth between the ski controller and or the retro box just by unplugging from one and plugging into the other. The DM3000 works just fine.

the box was ordered and cost $300 USD which included shipping from Rome Italy. It took about 4 weeks to receive. It came with the RS232 cable that plugs into the EZ DM3000 Retrofit Box and a Mach 3 equipped computer. Installation instructions are provided with a few setup files that are needed to be placed into a folder within Mach 3...real simple and fast. Once I did that i set the port address for the comm port inside Mach 3 and it was alive!

I was simply amazed at the ease of operation and how quick this went! I have had the DM3000 lathe for a little over 3 years and mine was all orginal with factory hardware and i didnt want to retro fit it like others by ripping out all the good electronics. SO i let it sit hoping i could find a way to bring modern technology into it. During this 3 years there have been alot of guys trying to do what the EZ DM3000 Retrofit Box does but it always ended in not so much good success. As a last hope I contacted Bobcad and was able to buy V21 with a DM3000 processor ...how ever that was just as hard to figure out as the Skip controller and DM3000 programming language.

I can say i am now using the EZ DM3000 Retrofit Box with the FACTORY electronics of the DM3000 along with MACH 3 and everything is fantastic! The data file provided by Turbina allows controlling of all part of the DM3000 including coolant on and off. His settings were spot on and his support is the best I have ever had...he worked with me to fine tune all the motors perfectly....which were very very close to begin with with in Mach 3.

Many have said it couldn't be done..but this guy DID IT! and mine proves it along with his. I strongly recommend anyone that has a DM3000 that has all functions working through the Skip Controller to consider buying his EZ DM3000 Retrofit Box BEFORE ripping out wires or parts!.

Much thanks to Turbina for creating this and providing support!

Big Chipin, spreading tha cheese, I be Big Chipin for days!

Re: EZ DM3000 Retrofit Box is a success!

the original build thread for the retro box is located here...

https://www.cnczone.com/forums/dyna-...ml#post2181624

for all those asking about the tool changer....yes the tool changer turret work through Mach 3 as well... the video was taken with the lathe i have with the spindle belt on the high speed pulley...i have since moved it as per Turbina recommendation to the middle pulley (mac speed 1800rpm) as this is what his PID settings match...and also is the best setting for threading..

When i did that the rpm speed up of the spindle was instant on the spindle and increasing or decreasing the rpm was quick and very accurate and steady and instant like a lathe should be...

Do you get bidirectional tool changes? The turret is capable but everyone uses the single direction macro bypassing the pawl solenoid.
    A lazy man does it twice.

I have only moved my in one direction...so i cant tell you yes or no...but if it can be done then this guy can do it...he says he is working on a tool setter probe for the DM3000..now that would be very cool....

all i can say if anyone has a DM3000 that can use the Skip Controller...they would be absolutely CRAZY no to buy one of the retro fit boxes... I now have a CNC lathe and a manual lathe in one...

Quote Originally Posted by Big Chips View Post
    I have only moved my in one direction...so i cant tell you yes or no...but if it can be done then this guy can do it...he says he is working on a tool setter probe for the DM3000..now that would be very cool....

all i can say if anyone has a DM3000 that can use the Skip Controller...they would be absolutely CRAZY no to buy one of the retro fit boxes... I now have a CNC lathe and a manual lathe in one...
    Cool either way and it sounds like a very reasonable price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    A lazy man does it twice.

Sorry but what do you mean by the skip controller? Do you mean the controller that came with the lathe? The reason I ask is that my machine has started randomly losing it's offsets between operations.

yes the controller that came with the lathe from the factory....it is what most call the Skip Controller..

you should contact the maker of the box i got....it is awesome! AND he just released a firmware update today that enables the use of a tool setting probe! He sent me a wiring diagram...but i think he is making one for resale also as a option.

I absolutely love being able to use my lathe as a manual when needed with the Mach3 controller

just a update....2 years later and my box is still workign great!

just a update....2 years later and my box is still workign great!
    Do you know if the maker of this box is still around?

Quote Originally Posted by levelzero View Post
    Do you know if the maker of this box is still around?
    Bump, looking to get the box.