584,866 active members*
5,022 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Upgading fron S10 to ST20Y

We currently have an ST10 and are thinking about upgrading to an ST20Y with the 24 station half index BMT 65 turrett. We now run many parts on a 5 axis setup as a secondary op after having done the first op on the ST10. The thinking is that we can run the parts in one op on the lathe and have it finished. Have it run many parts instead of one at a time on the fifth axis. Any thoughts on options we should consider. The ST10 has tool probing and chip conveyor. The optional work probe on the ST20Y is a big question for me, will we need it or not. I know when we first got probing on our VFs I thought why would we need this? Now i wouldn't have one without it.
    Thanks. Andy
    VF2, VF5, ST10, MINIMILL, MINIMILL2,

Re: Upgading fron S10 to ST20Y

I hear the lathe's work probe is generally geared for inspection rather than setup, so it seems to lend itself to mass production applications more than general use. I've only encountered one of those a few years ago during a contract job and the shop didn't even leave it in the machine when not in use since it gets absolutely splattered with coolant during normal operation. I don't have any firsthand experience with it though, maybe somebody else can chime in..

Re: Upgading fron S10 to ST20Y

Thanks Yadn, that is what I was thinking as well. Having no experience with a lathe with live tooling I wasn't sure if there would be any other reason to have it.
    VF2, VF5, ST10, MINIMILL, MINIMILL2,