584,802 active members*
4,981 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Tools / Tooling Technology > Toolgrinding / Toolgrinding Machines > Walter HMC 400 (circa 1994) Grinder. How do I get started?

Walter HMC 400 (circa 1994) Grinder. How do I get started?

We bought this at an auction for a great price, got it back to the shop and installed it, worked out the electrical bugs..and.....its all greek to me. I am used to NumROTO and standard G code for grinding tools, but nothing seems to relate here. Tried to resharp an endmill, and it probes, but after that says a feedrate is set to zero (which if you look at the operations it is not). Any ideas from anyone with experience in these machines?

Quote Originally Posted by dhaliotis View Post
    We bought this at an auction for a great price, got it back to the shop and installed it, worked out the electrical bugs..and.....its all greek to me. I am used to NumROTO and standard G code for grinding tools, but nothing seems to relate here. Tried to resharp an endmill, and it probes, but after that says a feedrate is set to zero (which if you look at the operations it is not). Any ideas from anyone with experience in these machines?
    Have you tried contacting the machine builder for training? These machines are not 'self learner' friendly. You will need training. Even the training manuals are not meant to teach yourself. The 400 series has alot of bugs that come up on a regular basis and need an experienced operator hwo knows how to overcome the bugs. That being said, the 400 series where work horses and are great machines for certain things.
    Where are you located?

Re: Walter HMC 400 (circa 1994) Grinder. How do I get started?

I am located in carol stream il. We did contact United Grinding, and after just about a week of emailing and calling about our situation, we got ahold of them and they said earliest is mid july with no promises. Over the last three or four days i have gotten closer and closer to running a tool (resharp end mill, point only) only to fall short at one point or another due to some illogical error.

I am located in carol stream il. We did contact United Grinding, and after just about a week of emailing and calling about our situation, we got ahold of them and they said earliest is mid july with no promises. Over the last three or four days i have gotten closer and closer to running a tool (resharp end mill, point only) only to fall short at one point or another due to some illogical error.
    Ya, understandable that United won't be too excited to help since you didn't buy it from them.
    I have all the documents for this machine. Send a direct message on this site and I'll give you my email, and we can figure out how to get them to you.
    Your 8hrs away from me, we can exchange a few emails and maybe I can help over the phone.

Hi Dear
    What is the name of production software and/ or control of your machine?

Re: Walter HMC 400 (circa 1994) Grinder. How do I get started?

I am unsure of what exactly you mean. The machine uses Walter Window Mode version 0.99, The controls are all indramat drives