584,830 active members*
6,029 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Smithy 1240 or tomach?

Hi,

After reading on both models, smithy seams to be a better machine. Does it worth the difference between a smithy cnc versus tormach?
    Smithy 1240 pc version = $8700
    Tormach = $6800

I am planning to add the 4th axis. What will I need to drive this 4th axis with the smithy. I already have mastercam and a laptop. What else will a need if a buy the smithy?

If money is not an issue (under 10K), what will you buy for a machine without tooling? Is there others machines than those 2?

thanks
    petecul

I don't think the (new) Smithy 1240 is shipping yet, or at least there are probably not to many out there, so I doubt you will get an opinion.

Smithy CNC are obviously very serious, however whether they bring home the bacon or not will remain to be seen. Their previous attempt appears to have been a failure so all credit to them for sticking at it.

You may also want to consider Industrial Hobbies.

Regards
    Phil

Quote Originally Posted by petecul View Post
    Hi,

After reading on both models, smithy seams to be a better machine. Does it worth the difference between a smithy cnc versus tormach?
    Smithy 1240 pc version = $8700
    Tormach = $6800

I am planning to add the 4th axis. What will I need to drive this 4th axis with the smithy. I already have mastercam and a laptop. What else will a need if a buy the smithy?

If money is not an issue (under 10K), what will you buy for a machine without tooling? Is there others machines than those 2?

thanks
    petecul

Haven't checked seriously into it, but isn't IH servo with gears? So...what about backlash? (I'm impressed with their claims of strength on the axis, but who cares if there is slop in there?)

jmg

Tormach: 640 oz-in steppers.
    Smithy1240: 1700 oz-in

Why the big difference??? The Smithy1240 is 2 hp, Tormach is 1.5 hp, would that make the difference?

jmg

The IH servo drives do not use gears. they ball screws are driven with timing belts and there is very little backlash between the drive and the screw once its setup properly. you can even buy turnkey machines now, where as before you had only an option to buy the kit.

Red face

Runner4404spd,

Good eye! My mistake, no gears just belts!

Would you happen to see any logic why Tormach has 640 oz-in (this number came from an email from Tormach), and Smithy1240 has 1700 oz-in (this number came from their website)?

Eventually a call would be in order, just thought someone might know that's all.

jmg

Smithy has linear slide for z axis versus dove tail for tromach!

For a machine that size, I don't think that is a big difference because weight is pretty much the same. Does anybody know what size are the kead screws on tormach

petecul