584,817 active members*
4,606 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Magnum CMC Lathe

Good Morning. It is a wood turning lathe, (Phoenix EZ). I have owned mine for 8 years +/- and have search wide and far for any other satisfied owners. I found one guy in Hawaii and that is all. They must have just sold 2? Anyone Else? Thanks.

Phoeniz Ez

I just bought the third one from a School auction. It is a 36 in unit but no Program to go with it. Called Magnum but out of business i guess. I am looking for a program to run this very nice machine. Big Stick

Magnum CNC Lathe

I do not have the program for it. The current program I do have will only work if I get a computer key code from Micorkinetics to unlock the software.

When I got the machine, they were in the process of going out of business and I got no support from them what-so-ever. They didn't have the courtesy to tell me anything. I got the machine used without a computer, motors or controller.

I, through a lot of research, found a company in Atlanta, Microkinetics, to help me out. They at the time, supplied the computer card that interfaced between the software program and the motors and so 3k later, the sleeper had awaken. If for any reason you want to get rid of it please consider me as I do need another one for spare parts. Good luck.

magnum lathe?

What is a MAGNUM lathe ? Any details? joe.

They were the company that manufacture the Phoenix EZ CNC lathe, out of Warren, PA

Guys I have copys of the programs for both the small and large lathes, If you will send me your email I will go to the school that I work at and make a copy of the programs for you. I first used this machine back around 1990 and it worked fine with a 386 computer. My current machine is a castoff from another school because they did not have the program. It runs on DOS. I don't know if Win.dos will work. My machine needs some work to find out what bugs it has. I can mail the disk or email. Let me know if you are still instrested

Bob

Thanks for the offer but I sold my machine to my buddy here and he may get back to you. [email protected] [Tommy]

After getting my first machine, I contacted Microkinetics and got all I needed from them, motors, card, controller and software (Windows based). Thanks

Ok this may sound stupid but my thought would be to unhook the drives from the electronics and through them out program and all. Then buy Mach3 to run in lathe mode and a power supply (maybe) and a driver set for the machine. Hook these up and use that fine machine with updated controls and software!

Coog

P.S. if money is the issue than I understand otherwise i think 200.00 gets er done ...???...
    Building Stage:[xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] 105%
    Finishing Stage:[xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx-] 95%

Hi there

My school recently picked up a Magnum CNC lathe, and it has all the programs and everything, but we still don't know how to use it. Could someone either compile a small instruction booklet or summarize how it works??

By the way, I'm in grade 11, and my woodshop teacher said that he would consider instructions of any form my summative, and if they help him getting it working, I automatically get 100% on it...but it needs to be handed in before the 21st, so if you could that would be great.

Thanks,

Hi I read your post and would like to help you and your school get your lathe going. I recently purchased a Phoenix EZ CNC wood lathe. As I understand, it was made by Magnum. This lathe came out of a school and came with the a complete written high school curriculum including the instructors manual. I would be happy to scan and send a copy of these manuals if it will help. Feel free to contact me by email at:

[email protected]

Hi K.Nyman,
    I read your post and would like to help you and your school get your lathe going. I recently purchased a Phoenix EZ CNC wood lathe. As I understand, it was made by Magnum. This lathe came out of a school and came with the a complete written high school curriculum including the instructors manual. I would be happy to scan and send a copy of these manuals if it will help. Feel free to contact me by email at:
    [email protected]

If anyone else has any experience with this machine I would love to hear from you also.
    Thanks,

Phoenix Ez CNC Wood Lathe

I hope it's not too late but i recently purchased from a school a Phoenix Ez CNC Wood Lathe with no software or manual. Could anyone help me our with the manual or photos of machine. I think there is a missing part on the cutter atatchment.

Phoenix CNC Wood Lathe

I'll apologize ahead of time for the long post.

I bought a Phoenix CNC wood lathe for $200.00 in a GovDeals auction last Summer. Since then, I have done the following to get it running.

I bought an old Compaq PC for $75.00 and installed Linux operating system and EMC2 software. Linux and EMC2 are downloadable free from the Internet. EMC2 runs g-code programs.

I had to replace the power supply and stepper motor drivers. I bought two stepper motor driver boards and a breakout board from a company called Probotix. Cost was a little over $100.00 with cables and a new fan. I already had a suitable power supply.

I bought a parallel port (printer port) card for the PC because the one in the PC did not have a minimum 5-volt output required for the stepper motor drivers. Cost of the card was about $25.00.

The EMC2 software allows you to define the outputs for each pin on the parallel port card. I can post those or send them to you in an email if you need them. You use a standard printer cable to connect from the parallel card to the breakout board, and then two small cables to connect to the stepper motor driver boards.

I bought a replacement carbide cutter from Forest Scientific for $100.00. There is a man there named John who used to work for Phoenix. He knows a lot about the machines, and he has a lot of spare parts.

I hope this helps.

Big Daddy

Phoenix CNC Wood Lathe Pin Define

Hey bigdaddy472002 love the suggestion , I am trying to hook this thing up at my school (grade 12), I'm going the emc2 root, do I need to buy an aftermaket breakout board or will the on-bord original be fine. If you still have your program handy could you please email me your .ini or .hal config file. Thanks Dave. [email protected]

For the last little while I have been trying to get the one at my school running. Unfortunately it only comes with a few of the software files. If somebody wanted to copy the programs and post them it would be greatly appreciated as this machine looks great sitting here and would be even better running.

Quote Originally Posted by crazy insane View Post
    For the last little while I have been trying to get the one at my school running. Unfortunately it only comes with a few of the software files. If somebody wanted to copy the programs and post them it would be greatly appreciated as this machine looks great sitting here and would be even better running.
    I know this is a crazy old thread but I just picked up one of these lathes with everything but the computer and software. Please help!

Re: Magnum CMC Lathe

Quote Originally Posted by John Berry View Post
    Hi I read your post and would like to help you and your school get your lathe going. I recently purchased a Phoenix EZ CNC wood lathe. As I understand, it was made by Magnum. This lathe came out of a school and came with the a complete written high school curriculum including the instructors manual. I would be happy to scan and send a copy of these manuals if it will help. Feel free to contact me by email at:

[email protected]
    Hi John,

I sent you an email regarding information on the Phoenix-EZ CNC WoodLathe. If anyone else has anything (Software or Manuals), please let me know. I can be reached @ [email protected]

I picked up this lathe today and plugged it in. I had to bypass the key switch but it fires up and the spindle turns. the computer box under the bed seems to power up. I guess if all else fails, I have a manual lathe and just need a steady rest for it!

Please, any help would be appreciated

Dave

Re: Magnum CMC Lathe

There are a lot of different wood lathes on the market, and it can be tough to decide which one is right for you. If you're just starting out, I would recommend the Magnum CMC Lathe. It's a great beginner lathe because it's easy to use and it has a lot of features that will help you get started in woodturning.

One of the best things about the Magnum CMC Lathe is the price. It's significantly cheaper than other lathes on the market, but it still has some great features that will help you get started in woodturning. The only downside is that it's not as durable as some of the more expensive lathes on the market. You can find more options here -https://woodworkingclarity.com/best-wood-lathe-for-beginners/