585,753 active members*
4,256 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Rebuilding a MaxNC 10 Electronics

Hi folks,
    I have the opportunity to buy a beat up MaxNC 10 with the 4th axis I am wondering if I should buy it since it is old and I am sure the electronics are garbage, it would be more of a rebuild project if I get it hence I need your wise insight.
    A while back I was looking at a Ethernet SmoothStepper with a Gecko G540 for a conversion in my mini-mill that I never did, I am thinking those electronics would apply to the MaxNC 10 as well however I was researching this stuff about 2 years ago, is there newer better options now days? Is it worth the time and money on this electronics to retrofit a MaxNC10? How much would you folks think this machine is worth? it is just the hardware by itself no computer or software to drive the machine for all I know the electronics could be fried.
    Thank you all in advance for your insight!

Re: Rebuilding a MaxNC 10 Electronics

I'd say pass on this opportunity, unless it's going for less than the cost of a CNC-ready rotary table (which was made by Sherline and is a good piece of kit). You'd be better off buying parts and building a mill from scratch, or converting that mini-mill. If you replaced them as you suggest, the electronics would be the best part of this machine, but then you'd want to replace everything else.
    Andrew Werby
    Website

Thank you Pal, appreciate the advice. That is what I was thinking, the person selling the machine wants $800 I think that is laughable however I was going to go take a look and reason with him why it is not worth $800 and see how much a fair price would be.
    Unless is a killer deal I won't get it. Again thank you for the insight!

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    I'd say pass on this opportunity, unless it's going for less than the cost of a CNC-ready rotary table (which was made by Sherline and is a good piece of kit). You'd be better off buying parts and building a mill from scratch, or converting that mini-mill. If you replaced them as you suggest, the electronics would be the best part of this machine, but then you'd want to replace everything else.
    I do have one more question if you do not mind, are the electronics I mention good? Or is there something better for a machine of this size? Thank you again!

Quote Originally Posted by Recoil6 View Post
    Thank you Pal, appreciate the advice. That is what I was thinking, the person selling the machine wants $800 I think that is laughable however I was going to go take a look and reason with him why it is not worth $800 and see how much a fair price would be.
    Unless is a killer deal I won't get it. Again thank you for the insight!
    Hello,
    I have a MaxNC10 that was given to me in non-operating condition. I have added a G540 and better steppers than original and finally have a working mill. I junked the old electronics, save for the variable spindle control, which still seems to function just fine.
    I'm using it for simple engraving tasks and milling small ABS project boxes.
    Happy to share my trials and tribulations!
    Regards,
    Michael

Hey Michael,
    I'm brand new to this group and I work at a school that has a maxnc 15 that hasn't been used in a while. It's running on older software from 1998 that is DOS based and I can't seem to get it entirely figured out. Is there a better software that I can purchase that would get this think up and running again? Any help is appreciated!!

David

I'm also a very new to member and grabbed a MaxNC 10 recently...I didn't even bother to try it as is since I don't even have a printer port on anything anymore. I picked up 3 MDrive-23 hybrid drives and a new controller to bring everything a bit more modern. Should be a fun little toy when done.

i have cahnce to buy a used working real old 20+yrs stock maxnc-10 with old 386 lol computer and monityor for $200

should i buy or run?..i do not plan on retrofitting at this time

seller does not have the install disk...where can i get install disk or is there cheap alterantive software to control the machine?

thanks