584,830 active members*
6,021 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Aligning turret on SL-204

I smacked my SL-204 a couple weeks ago. I forgot to adjust the work shift and as a 2" boring bar was coming down it hit the work piece on the OD while in a rapid move (in X and Z). The turret 'rotated' up and is off by about .055 (maybe as much as .07). We are running it now but as you can guess, drilling is more than a challenge. We are a very small outfit so the boss doesn't usually call in the repairmen unless we have several repair tickets and/or we absolutely can't run the machine. He thinks that all we have to do is pull the plate off the face of the turret and loosen a couple bolts that lock the turret down. Can I just loosen those bolts and manually force the turret to rotate back to position or is there more to it than that? I do have a co-axial indicator and an ID tool holder to true up to. I haven't checked the turret to see if it is running parallel to the Z axis but a straight cut 8 inches long only has .0005 taper. Information and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

PR

Re: Aligning turret on SL-204

Im not familiar with that model. The models I am familiar with you do from the back. Loosening some bolts and adjusting eccentric pins. Mori is pretty good about sending you pages and procedures from the service manual if you call them and ask them.