584,817 active members*
4,810 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > Help HAAS SMTC Doble Arm Motor Problem

Help HAAS SMTC Doble Arm Motor Problem

Hello I am new to this site and hope I can get some help and maybe start helping others with any knowledge I might have

I have a problem with the Side Mount Tool Changer Double Arm Motor

I cannot get the motor to move the arm forward or backward in the recover mode. I have removed the motor to have it tested and the motor is working just fine. When I have the motor out I power up the machine and go into the recover mode so that I can see if the motor cam is turning and the first time I push atc fwd or atc rev the motor spins one time only. So only the first time I hit atc fwd does the cam turn. After that the motor is completely frozen and will not move at all. Any ideas what might cause this problem and what I should check to fix this issue? Is there a point on the IO board where I can check the Voltage being sent to the motor? Any help would be greatly appreciated as the machine is down and we must get it up and running soon.

The machine is a 2004 HAAS VF 2 with Side Mount Tool Changer

Thank you in advance

Re: Help HAAS SMTC Doble Arm Motor Problem

Did your cambox leak out all it's oil? The double arm seal degrades over time and if you don't replace and replenish the oil it can get dry in there.

Is the brake resister still in one piece?

To properly diagnose the problem, we will need more info about what is going. Just saying that you cant use the recover mode doesnt tell us anything.

Why are you trying to use the tool changer recover? Can you do a regular power up restart? Are there any alarm codes? Did you crash the tool changer?

As an FYI - The double arm motor is a hidden axis. The power doesnt come off the IO board, it comes from one of the axis amplifiers.