584,861 active members*
5,138 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > 10k rpm greased packed spindle, how to make it quieter

10k rpm greased packed spindle, how to make it quieter

We have a Haas TM2P with the 10k rpm grease packed spindle, which produces a high pitched whine from the spindle bearings (nothing out of the ordinary for this spindle, per the HFO techs). The VF3 sitting next to the TM is just about silent at 10k rpm, which is mostly from the oil lubricated spindle.

Of course the greased TM spindle will never be as quiet as the VF spindle, but does anybody have any tricks to quiet down this 10k TM grease lubed spindle? I asked the HFO tech about it, and got the standard response of "it's just louder than the VF, and you void your warranty if you try a different grease".

Re: 10k rpm greased packed spindle, how to make it quieter

the VF has coolant around the spindle to keep it cool and I don`t the the TM does ?

Quote Originally Posted by D.D.Machine View Post
    the VF has coolant around the spindle to keep it cool and I don`t the the TM does ?
    Correct, I imagine that's a large part of why it is so much quieter. TM spindle = grease lubed. VF spindle = oil lubed.

It also might have to do the belt drive ,,, I really don`t see why a oil spindle would or a grease spinle would not sound almost the same ... I have a couple fadal grease spindles 7.5K 7500RPM and the noise from them is in the belt drive and not from the spindle bearings..

Quote Originally Posted by D.D.Machine View Post
    It also might have to do the belt drive ,,, I really don`t see why a oil spindle would or a grease spinle would not sound almost the same ... I have a couple fadal grease spindles 7.5K 7500RPM and the noise from them is in the belt drive and not from the spindle bearings..
    Good point. Maybe it is mainly from the belt, in which case there likely isn't anything that can be done about the noise.

You also have to remember the difference in the spindle bearings. I know that the regular VF spindles use ceramic bearings, so they are a more quiet set. I dont remember what the greased spindles use, I would have to see if I have it in my notes somewhere.

Additionally, think about the mass of the head on a VF compared to the TM. All that extra metal up there has a deadening effect (unless you get some weird harmonics, then its loud as hell).

And IIRC, the belt used on the TM is a single Gates style belt about 1.5 inch wide. The older VF's (1990s models, before direct drive) used a pair of belts that werent as wide. So even the older machines were quieter than a TM.

The belt is probably riding on the flange. Look to see if the belt is riding on one side of the spindle motor pulley.

Quote Originally Posted by HAILINHAAS View Post
    The belt is probably riding on the flange. Look to see if the belt is riding on one side of the spindle motor pulley.
    Will check, thanks.