585,754 active members*
3,961 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Spindles / VFD > 2.2Kw Spindle with Huanyang VFD - Finally working properly!

2.2Kw Spindle with Huanyang VFD - Finally working properly!

Hi Guys,

I have had a very frustrating weekend and nearly blew my VFD and Spindle Motor. Hopefully this will help somebody.

I followed all the online advise to program and wire the spindle but just could't get it to spin properly, I would have to spin the motor by hand to get it going?? I figured I might have a faulty phase on the motor as I'd double checked the wiring it seemed all good. The last thing I tried was adding an earth cable to the motor housing. Once you open the casing you realize how important this is as the water lines are not that well sealed or isolated from the power. Anyways once I fitted the earth cable I plugged everything in and tripped the RCD in my shed, I thought I'd really done it this time! Surely there is only one thing this could be...

It turns out the aviator plug was either a reject or assembled incorrectly at the factory. The PIN numbers did not correspond between the male and female plugs.....

I'm thankful I got out of this one alive, (and the spindle).

I hope this helps somebody...

Regards,
    Travis

Re: 2.2Kw Spindle with Huanyang VFD - Finally working properly!

lol, do they even test them at the factory?

Re: 2.2Kw Spindle with Huanyang VFD - Finally working properly!

Quote Originally Posted by Travspad View Post
    Hi Guys,

I have had a very frustrating weekend and nearly blew my VFD and Spindle Motor. Hopefully this will help somebody.

I followed all the online advise to program and wire the spindle but just could't get it to spin properly, I would have to spin the motor by hand to get it going?? I figured I might have a faulty phase on the motor as I'd double checked the wiring it seemed all good. The last thing I tried was adding an earth cable to the motor housing. Once you open the casing you realize how important this is as the water lines are not that well sealed or isolated from the power. Anyways once I fitted the earth cable I plugged everything in and tripped the RCD in my shed, I thought I'd really done it this time! Surely there is only one thing this could be...

It turns out the aviator plug was either a reject or assembled incorrectly at the factory. The PIN numbers did not correspond between the male and female plugs.....

I'm thankful I got out of this one alive, (and the spindle).

I hope this helps somebody...

Regards,
    Travis
    I don't believe that is correct, the plugs have a key on all the parts, so they can not go together incorrect, take some photos of the parts, the wiring is quite simple, you wired the plug, the Spindle always has to be checked to see how that plug has been wired and that the Ground Pin 4 has continuity to the Spindle body

Normal is

U=Pin 1

V=Pin2

W=Pin3

Ground is Pin 4 which always has to be checked for continuity, most don't have the Ground / Earth connected, which you have to correct as per the photo below
    Mactec54