584,327 active members*
6,381 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Spindles / VFD > Chinese VFD - Wrong Voltage?

Chinese VFD - Wrong Voltage?

So, I had gotten a 120v/1.5kw spindle and VFD combo about 7 months ago. Been using it fine for the last 8 months no problem. Then here lately, I was wanting to run it at lower RPM for wood cutting and somewhat actual speeds for Aluminum after strengthening my homebuilt router.

Well, it was popping up with er 7, which on my VFD, is inverter overtemp. So, I did what any somewhat normal person would do and took it apart to maybe put some better thermal compound on the components that were touching the Aluminium heatsink.

Well, when I got it down to almost bare bones without removing the screws for the components touching the heatsink, I see that it says 220v for power in (explains why there is no actual ground on the board and I had to rig another). The wording for the connectors there were actually hidden under the plastic top cover, so I had never noticed it until it was taken apart (See attachment).

So, my question. Should I actually be running this on 110v or should I stop using it until I can get 220v in the shop? I had originally gotten the 120v combo for the simple fact that building code for my state requires you to route a form to get 220v ran to a shop/seperate garage and the city has to come out and run the cable for said endeavor.

P.S. It runs fine when I'm above 200hz, but not when I go down below that. Can I possibly change the parameters to go from 0-200hz range for the max range of the power supplied, which is 120v?

Re: Chinese VFD - Wrong Voltage?

Quote Originally Posted by firepong View Post
    So, I had gotten a 120v/1.5kw spindle and VFD combo about 7 months ago. Been using it fine for the last 8 months no problem. Then here lately, I was wanting to run it at lower RPM for wood cutting and somewhat actual speeds for Aluminum after strengthening my homebuilt router.

Well, it was popping up with er 7, which on my VFD, is inverter overtemp. So, I did what any somewhat normal person would do and took it apart to maybe put some better thermal compound on the components that were touching the Aluminium heatsink.

Well, when I got it down to almost bare bones without removing the screws for the components touching the heatsink, I see that it says 220v for power in (explains why there is no actual ground on the board and I had to rig another). The wording for the connectors there were actually hidden under the plastic top cover, so I had never noticed it until it was taken apart (See attachment).

So, my question. Should I actually be running this on 110v or should I stop using it until I can get 220v in the shop? I had originally gotten the 120v combo for the simple fact that building code for my state requires you to route a form to get 220v ran to a shop/seperate garage and the city has to come out and run the cable for said endeavor.

P.S. It runs fine when I'm above 200hz, but not when I go down below that. Can I possibly change the parameters to go from 0-200hz range for the max range of the power supplied, which is 120v?
    There should not be a Ground on the Board, With your Ground I hope you only have that attached to the Heatsink

If you brought it as a 120v Input VFD then it could have a converter built in that will take the 120v up to 220v , that is if your spindle is 220v also, or did you buy the junk package 120v VFD and 120V Spindle

Can you run it 0 to 200 HZ no you can not they have a minimum speed of 6,000 RPM so the lowest Hz can only be 100 Hz to 400 Hz

The Boards will be marked 220v that is normal, if you brought it as a 120v VFD that is what you will have to run it on
    Mactec54