585,959 active members*
4,701 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Spindles / VFD > Chinese spindle and VFD
Page 1 of 2 12

Chinese spindle and VFD

Have a problem I need some help with.

Bought a chinese spindle and VFD 2.2Kw and have a voltage issue. Seems that voltage is leaking and when i touch my cnc table at time i get shocked. I tried running a ground wire from my outside ground rod to the table but as soon as I start the spindle it throws an error code.

Any idea's

Re: Chinese spindle and VFD

I have one also, it works great. Never had this problem but I'm willing to bet you wired it wrong. I would start by checking your voltage supply (can't imagine why this would cause a problem but why the heck not start with the simplest thing to check) and one set of input it output wires at a time triple check my connections.

I can try to shoot you over a picture of how mine is wired if you think it will help. After you absolutely sure everything is connected correctly as the seller what they think. I know everyone here claims you have zero support when you but Chinese stuff but I find that to be untrue. They really want good ratings on whatever sir you purchased from. I have had steppers, 3D printer control board, once a 1500mm ballscrew replaced free of cost from different sellers. They want it to work for you so they can sell more!

Post a picture of how you wired this thing and maybe some people can chime in with help!

yes please send a picture.

Also when running full speed my VFD is only showing 1.6AMP does this seem right? I figured it would run higher that that being an 8 amp spindle.

ericks Guest

Quote Originally Posted by msdeltaguy View Post
    Have a problem I need some help with.

Bought a chinese spindle and VFD 2.2Kw and have a voltage issue. Seems that voltage is leaking and when i touch my cnc table at time i get shocked. I tried running a ground wire from my outside ground rod to the table but as soon as I start the spindle it throws an error code.

Any idea's
    This is a dangerous situation!!!

ericks Guest

Firstly you should never power up a device like this without having its earthing properly done. So you need to have the spindle motor earthed.....not through the machine frame or table...on the spindle motor.
    Best is to test your installation/connections before even powering up.....

Do you have an Electrical tester handy??

Also when running full speed my VFD is only showing 1.6AMP does this seem right? I figured it would run higher that that being an 8 amp spindle.
    When just running, or when actually cutting?

My 8 amp spindle shows about 1.0 -1.3 amps when it's not cutting.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by ericks View Post
    Firstly you should never power up a device like this without having its earthing properly done. So you need to have the spindle motor earthed.....not through the machine frame or table...on the spindle motor.

No joke the manufacturer of mine said grounding is optional and that they routinely do not ground theirs in a video showing them running it groundless. I felt discouraged from using a ground.

Mine is grounded so you should be able to copy my setup.

I will send a picture of mine tonight after I get home from work later on this evening.

Agree 100%, proper grounding and bonding should be carried out according to NEC/CEC, but just about all jurisdictions will specify the same.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

I have a fluke T87 will this be sufficient ? If so tell me what I need to test. I just rewired my spindle like this. Mine was in a different order using pins 1,2,3

U=Pin 1
    V=Pin 2
    W=Pin 3

With it wired up like stated below:
    U=Pin 1
    V=Pin 2
    W=Pin 3

I just reconnected the earth ground to my table and when I hit run on the VFD i hear a pop from the spindle and the VFD goes into error for a few seconds and resets. when I disconnect the earth ground the spindle runs fine. Problem is im still getting set on fire when i touch my linear rails. its quite the shock

YES YES i know this is dangerous and thats why im on here trying to figure out what the heck is going on. I have double checked and my VFD is grounded to earth ground from the 220v AC circuit

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    When just running, or when actually cutting?

My 8 amp spindle shows about 1.0 -1.3 amps when it's not cutting.
    When cutting. when cutting with a 3/4 end mill under a decent load (hardwood with a .25inch pass depth) the highest ive seen it get is about 1.9amps @ 18k RPM. I would figure that it would jump up to 3-4 amps at least

Thanks for the video but I have all that correct so far.

Thanks for the video but I have all that correct so far.

Ok sorry I know that all sounds obvious but it's good to check did you make sure the VFD is properly set? I had to check out some settings on mine. They were correct but the instructions were pretty specific to have them set a certain way.. I'm going to dig up that video.

Here are the settings they sent me :

Step 1: Set PD005 =400
    Step 2: Set PD004 =400
    Step 3: Set PD003 =400
    Step 4: Set PD072 =400
    PD144=3000

Here is the video link:

https://youtu.be/ZiBQ26rU-5g

Quote Originally Posted by KidKhaos View Post
    Ok sorry I know that all sounds obvious but it's good to check did you make sure the VFD is properly set? I had to check out some settings on mine. They were correct but the instructions were pretty specific to have them set a certain way.. I'm going to dig up that video.

Here are the settings they sent me :

Step 1: Set PD005 =400
    Step 2: Set PD004 =400
    Step 3: Set PD003 =400
    Step 4: Set PD072 =400
    PD144=3000

Here is the video link:

https://youtu.be/ZiBQ26rU-5g
    Yep. Ive checked the VFD several times. Everything runs super good but when i grab my CNC table in certain areas it will shock the hell out of me. Obviously the external spindle case is being energized with voltage and energizing my CNC table. This is super crazy

ericks Guest

I have a fluke T87 will this be sufficient ? If so tell me what I need to test. I just rewired my spindle like this. Mine was in a different order using pins 1,2,3

U=Pin 1
    V=Pin 2
    W=Pin 3
    Great.....having the tester will help a great deal When you come online and you are at the machine i'll run you through the test procedure....

Great.....having the tester will help a great deal When you come online and you are at the machine i'll run you through the test procedure....
    im ready its 4am here in Mississippi LOL

ericks Guest

im ready its 4am here in Mississippi LOL
    Wow..... Okay, first thing to do is turn all power to machine off
    Then disconnect the cables on the drive....the ones going to the spindle motor. you may leave the earth cable connected to the drive but u...v..w mus be disconnected.

ericks Guest

We are going to do two tests.....
    1) Confirm that all three motor windings are present/connected properly
    2) Test for any shorts between the windings and the frame of the motor...

ericks Guest

Just to confirm....the spindle motor stays connected, only disconnect the cables U/V/W from the drive, you going to test these cables where they are disconnected. This way you testing from the start of the cable all the way to the motor and the motor itself.....all in one. ps......the fact that you heard a pop in the motor most likely is a sign that there is either a short, moisture or swopped cables/wires.

Page 1 of 2 12