584,841 active members*
4,388 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Need Programming help

Hi,
    I have a couple projects that I built and would like to hire someone to help me program an Arduino.
    Does anyone know who I can talk to? Or maybe looking for other options other than an Arduino.
    Thank You

Re: Need Programming help

There are lots of alternatives and one of them is an Arduino.
    What do you want to do, how large is a project, can you describe the simplest one a bit. What is the time frame
    Huub

you should post the specs of your project, so the developers could estimate the hours needed to complete your project and provide you with a quotation for their work

Quote Originally Posted by Savad View Post
    you should post the specs of your project, so the developers could estimate the hours needed to complete your project and provide you with a quotation for their work

No Problem....Huub, not sure of a time frame. I've been trying and I'm just not smart enough for this programming stuff. The sooner the better I guess

Here is what I made. It is for making strings for bows (Archery)
    The link is the machine I made out of two stepper motors and I am driving it with Mach3. (I can't get the link to work by copy and paste. see the next post to search on youtube)
    The picture is what I built with my switches and the Arduino is inside.
    The other picture my original sketch to show what I want the control box to do.

Is this the right spot to post this? I don't see a section to ask for a quote??
    Thank You

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1nu87sjKvQ
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails control box drawing.jpg   control box.jpg  

I have a video on youtube. I tried to copy and paste the address but it don't work.
    if you go to youtube and look for this, it will show what I am doing.
    thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails video.JPG  

Which Arduino?
    Have you already wired it in? If so, how have you assigned pins (and can you change them?)
    What does it need to send out - just step and direction pulses to stepper drivers?

Be aware that you'd probably need to ship off the box, drivers and probably steppers too to whoever ends up doing it, otherwise debugging becomes a huge PITA.

I'd offer but I'm in Oz and the shipping costs would kill you if my quote didn't

Quote Originally Posted by dmh13433 View Post
    I have a video on youtube. I tried to copy and paste the address but it don't work.
    if you go to youtube and look for this, it will show what I am doing.
    thanks
    Ok, i saw the video lets see if I got it right
    - you are driving two steppers in opposite direction using mach3
    - the tension on the string is achieved by an air-cylinder pull rod
    - i saw the corner of a driver, i think you use leadshine drivers
    this works ok on the video

You have a control box with switches and counters, driven by an arduino
    this works

Question1:
    - Do you now want to connect this control box to Mach3 to let the control box control mach3?

Question2 (most important)
    - Why do you want to change the current working system?

My guess was that the intention was to replace the laptop and Mach3 with the brain box.

------My guess was that the intention was to replace the laptop and Mach3 with the brain box.
    dharmic. That is exactly right. Thanks

------you are driving two steppers in opposite direction using mach3
    Yes, that is correct. I want to be able to also add twist in the string AND turn the string without twist. So both motors have to spin both directions....that would be the switches in the top right hand corner of my brain box.
    ------ the tension on the string is achieved by an air-cylinder pull rod?
    Yes that is correct.
    ------ i saw the corner of a driver, i think you use leadshine drivers this works ok on the video?
    Yes, this is working with Mach3. I used Mach 3 to prove my design. It works but cumbersome. I don't want to use a laptop.
    ------You have a control box with switches and counters, driven by an arduino this works?
    No, this doesn't work. I made a box with the switches, but I can't get it to work with the Arduino Uno. I can get it to turn on and go from zero to 1,000RPM. But Can't get the rest to work.

At this point, a guy can only have time for a limited amount of projects. I have spent a huge amount of time trying to learn some programming, but I think this one is too much for me. I just want to see if I can hire someone to help me. If anyone shoots archery, hunting or competition, maybe I can build them a machine if they could do the programming? Probably not on this site.

Quote Originally Posted by dmh13433 View Post
    ------My guess was that the intention was to replace the laptop and Mach3 with the brain box.
    dharmic. That is exactly right. Thanks
    Then you need an intelligent controller to control the drivers that drive the steppers and some software/hardware in the brain box that drives this controller.

The for me obvious controller that can communicate by "self made software" is an Arduino running GRBL. This is free software used in lots of commercial devices. You can communicate to GRBL using simple serial text commands
    Look at https://github.com/gnea/grbl/wiki/Using-Grbl for an impression how GRBL is controlled by "self made" software. Most of this software is on github
    Look at https://www.microsoft.com/store/apps/9p42tb5t697h (the screen shots) and see how i do it with my lathe. I think the grinding or threading page looks similar to what you need.

I made this kind of brain boxes for my lathe and rotary table with knobs, display and self made driver/controller. But nowadays i use a 7" Windows 10 tablet wireless connected to a Arduino running GRBL because it is easier to develop and maintain.

To make software for your brain box, you need such a brain box and even then, it will probably cost a lot of time.

I have read you can made "skins" for Mach3 to make it more user friendly. Maybe that is a solution for you.

There is software that runs on a PC that you could adapt Grbl-Panel) Home · gerritv/Grbl-Panel Wiki · GitHub

I could make a special task (page) in my CNCL software that fits your needs but you still need a PC or 7" tablet.

I realize it is not what you wanted in the first place!

Thanks hfjbuis

I might have to try what you are saying eventually. I'm just tired of learning new things right now, I'm going to try to find some help first.
    Here is a picture of what my friend and I have been doing.

Looking like standard DIY project pox should and this should be very doable. I would make my own arduino program without need for GRBL or other fancy stuff. Problem is to find someone to make this happen near enough for testing. Other way round is document what you have and what it does exactly. Then find someone who can duplicate and program it.

Really have to google what this is trying to do, just to make sure I don´t need one of these

Your Brain box isn't bad at all and on the outside it looks very well. It just takes a lot of time to develop the application for it. If you add another Arduino running GRBL, then the controlling of the steppers is done for you. This Brain Box is absolute capable of sending serial commands to a GRBL controller. So you are on the right way. It just takes time to finish it.

Really have to google what this is trying to do, just to make sure I don´t need one of these [/QUOTE]

LOL james_III
    go to youtube and search "specialty archery super server" and there is a nice video showing what this machine will do. They are pretty expensive machines.
    I used to make my strings without a machine like this, but to put the serving on.........takes a long time.
    I got the idea watching a machine make strings for a bass guitar. Then I found this machine on youtube and made my own. Now I just need it to work better.

I tried to add a link from youtube again, but It just shows up a big black screen.
    I have a video with the arduino running the stepper motor with the speed pot. Imagine how excited I was when I saw this
    search on youtube.........."arduino running nema 34 stepper motor" author is flopearedmule

Quote Originally Posted by hfjbuis View Post
    Then you need an intelligent controller to control the drivers that drive the steppers and some software/hardware in the brain box that drives this controller.

The for me obvious controller that can communicate by "self made software" is an Arduino running GRBL.
    That was my first thought too. Then I realised GRBL is massive overkill for this application and it doesn't have the logic for the switch panel anyway.

All whoever writing it needs to do is set up a timer/counter to fire an interrupt. In that interrupt, set the output pin going to the STEP input of each controller based on the speed - and keep count for the counter jobbie. You can hard wire the DIR and ENABLE pins for each driver to its associated motor switch (off, on, reverse) or you can just poll the inputs in the main loop and set appropriately via the arduino. Button poll on the counter buttons to adjust that number. Pretty much done.

Quote Originally Posted by dharmic View Post
    That was my first thought too. Then I realised GRBL is massive overkill for this application and it doesn't have the logic for the switch panel anyway.

All whoever writing it needs to do is set up a timer/counter to fire an interrupt. In that interrupt, set the output pin going to the STEP input of each controller based on the speed - and keep count for the counter jobbie. You can hard wire the DIR and ENABLE pins for each driver to its associated motor switch (off, on, reverse) or you can just poll the inputs in the main loop and set appropriately via the arduino. Button poll on the counter buttons to adjust that number. Pretty much done.
    I assumed the two steppers had to run at different speed, checked the earlier post and found out they don't. I agree your solution is better.
    Keep in mind that to run a stepper at any speed, you have to start slow and then accelerate to the requested speed. So slowly decrease the delay between steps until you reach the requested speed!

@dmh13433
    - You use a adafruit 7 segment display. On the picture it seems to work, am i right?
    - The stepper runs but to slow?
    Send me your arduino program and a list on what arduino input is used for what connection and i will have a look at it.

I'd forgotten about the acceleration. As you mentioned, though, they can be run in lockstep so including a ramp function to step up the timer compare value within the interrupt would do it pretty easy.

@ OP I can do the project for you if you want sir I can write a program on raspberypi, arduino, ESP8266, wire it for you, write all the schematic diagram for you so that you can do it on your side, either way, it`s just a stepper driver, nothing fancy or too difficult at all, unlike coding for a quad that had so many sensors...

KH0UJ and hfjbuis

I sent you both a PM. Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12