585,733 active members*
4,872 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > Help please. Dip switches and mach 3 settings

Help please. Dip switches and mach 3 settings

Hi,
    The items in cause are Nema 34 motor 5.6A, 1200oz-in, and driver DQ860MA.
    Dip switches set as OFF OFF ON ON OFF ON ON OFF , which sets the thing to 4.9A Peak, 3.5A RMS, Full Current from SW4 (i don,t really know how to set this), and 2000 pulse/rev. The next current setting is 5.7A peak.

In mach 3, in ports and pins, motor outputs, checking only the enabled column does nothing, as I,ve seen in some tutorials. Checking only step low active will get the motors running, and also checking both dir and step low active, seems to work.

In config, motor tuning, I,ve set a few different speeds and acceleration just to see the difference. What exactly should I set in there?

Now, I,m new to this, and I,ve surely missed something, as the motors get relatively warm after a 1-2 min of running a test gcode from the default mach3 folder.
    The motors are not connected to the ballscrews, so there isn,t any load to carry.

What have I done wrong?

Regards,
    Andrei

Re: Help please. Dip switches and mach 3 settings

Stepper motors inherently run hot. Most can run hotter than you could even touch and still be fine. for example, one of the motors I have is rated for a 100 deg C case temperature (212 deg F), which will cause burns in seconds.

Acceleration and speed are application dependent and need to be determined by you. The way I do it is to set a low acceleration and gradually increase the max speed until the motor stalls. Then set the max speed to 75 to 80 percent of the value where it stalled. Then begin increasing the accel until the motor stalls on accel, and back that setting off to 75-80%.