585,599 active members*
3,574 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Simple task... can't figure it out

Ok... this will likely be something stupid but I spent the morning over at the shop trying to do one simple thing and couldn't figure it out...

Simple setup. a 7+ inch 1/2 by 1/2 ground piece of A2 square stock mounted in a 6" vise with the ends sticking out.

As cut it's a bit oversize (lets call it 7.200" as cut to be safe)

All I am looking to do is machine each end in sequence to 7" so they can be used as reference planes for other ops.

I tried profile but it wants to go all the way around the part but that would hit the vise. I also tried a few other ops with nothing getting close.

I must be over thinking this, cant be that hard... likely should have just hand coded this by now but I want to do it right. It would also be nice to limit it to basic operations available only in the Xpress version as I will likely be purchasing that version when I am done (good experience).

Richard

BTW, tool is just a standard 1/4", 4 flute, coated carbide EM.

EDT: I ended up hand coding it. this is one of those things that may be due to my not using SC for so long I am forgetting something simple. maybe some way to use an open chain (ie just one edge or something). I wouldn't mind having the info tho.

Re: Simple task... can't figure it out

Hi DarkStarMedia,

Profile is the correct operation, however you are forgetting to deselect the chain radio buttons to the left BEFORE selecting your two ends. Remember the arrow shows the direction of the cut, so if you pick at the wrong corner first you can always reverse by right clicking on the chain/Profile name.

Regards,
    Darrin
    SolidCAM USA