585,568 active members*
3,302 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > Haas 2010 TM2P suddenly wont boot up!

Haas 2010 TM2P suddenly wont boot up!

Head scratchen here to why my 2010 Haas TM2P Mill suddenly won't boot without warning.

I had the machine on and running before lunch everything was working great and as normal. Powered down to run out for a couple hours. Come back hit power.

I hear the beep, all fans kicking ect. But watching the screen nothing. I can notice a slight flicker in the screen I know that it's getting juice. There is a slight change on the screen indicating the lamp has some power but the screen is still dark and buttons are unresponsive.

No leds red or green light up on top of the control. No beeps when I hit the buttons. Hand control screen lights up with the Haas logo. But nothing else.

Walk around to the back looking at all the panes. leds are on for mocon board. some red, some red and green. Looks to me like we have power where I need it. Took a reading off the Mocon battey. Reads a healthy 2.8.

checked all breakers and tried to reboot multiple times. Unplugged and replugged all mocon connectors. Nothing.

Im stumped! I would love some help here if anyone has any ideas?

Here is a video showing what happens when I hit power. (sorry for the fan noise in the audio)

https://youtu.be/WTDGehiCudk

can you pull the back cover off the controller and hook the monitor up to a computer monitor, You could on the older Haas, but im not sure about the new ones.

I just checked ours since haas has the cover off. on a 2017 machine you cant replace the Display with a computer monitor.

Re: Haas 2010 TM2P suddenly wont boot up!

Did you check incoming power? Mine did this last week, one of the legs was out on the power pole outside.

Quote Originally Posted by jmeyerholtz View Post
    I just checked ours since haas has the cover off. on a 2017 machine you can't replace the Display with a computer monitor.
    Looks like the same with the 2010. They went to some kind of proprietary cable. They don't like to make it easy I guess. :/

I powered up with the lights out. The monitor absolutely gets power. This much I know. Plus the fact that when I hit the reset button for example there are no beeps. And the pendant on top of the controller does not light up. To me it looks like the system hangs or wont boot up. Yet the mocon says it has power. hmmmm

Quote Originally Posted by djr76 View Post
    Did you check incoming power? Mine did this last week, one of the legs was out on the power pole outside.
    So you're saying to check the main power going into the machine itself? To the main breaker?

So I check the power coming in and its at 220V which is within operational range. As for the low voltage reading its. +11.853, -12.063 and 5.108

Any thoughts?

If the monitor were the problem, you would still be able to hit reset then power-up the machine after a while. You get the system beep which is part of the boot, but it doesn't seem to actually progress into the BIOS normally displayed on the screen. I'm no technician but it seems like a problem with the processor board. Even when the software is erased, the machine will still boot into its BIOS system which is where it loads the machine's memory (interface etc). I don't know how to diagnose that without swapping parts tho

Thanks for the reply Ydna,

That's my fear, that maybe something just dies. But without any real even other then turning off the machine and then turning it back on. To just simply die like that seems unlikely. I feel like there is nothing more I can do or try other than spend a ton of funds to fix it. Unless anyone else has any thoughts im all ears.

Maybe a call to Haas tech support? One old tech trick is to unplug any cables and boards and reseat them. Sometimes that's all it takes.

Ours is losing its G54 position on full power down (it used to keep it), so we don't turn it off any more. Just hit the e-stop but leave the computer powered up. IMO it's better to leave computers powered up anyway and keep them warm, better than thermal cycling the components.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Thanks Jim, I gave that a try and nothing. In the end I had a tech come in. And we confirmed that the board is fried. So 12k later I have a new one. Note that returning the old one will half that price but still that's a lot of mula. Here's what I find frustrating. Its not that to board (hardware) is dead. Everything works on a power level and we tested it a bit. Seems simply that the memory got scrambled. Would be nice if the tech could jack into the serial port and troubleshoot the existing board rather then throwing parts at the problem. For us small guy operations this stuff really hurts. I don't know maybe Okuma might be a better option down the road. If I can afford to keep the business growing to where I might need one. rant over lol.

Sadly it was the worst case scenario to get this machine back online. What worries me now is what caused it to scramble in the first place. What could happen in a lunch hour while it was powered down. Was perfect then dead. I can only think that maybe there was a surge of some kind that killed it. Funny my cheap computer survived but the very expensive Mocon didn't. lol

Anyway new routine for me is to kill the machines breaker when not in use. Might even install a power conditioner. Just encase the guy next door drops a welder in a tub of water.

Thanks for the ideas guys was a good try. Hopefully that will be the last issue for me for awhile. Cheers

What is the line item for $12k? The maincon lists on haasparts for $3,500. Did the tech try reloading the software?

Quote Originally Posted by erikfriesen View Post
    What is the line item for $12k? The maincon lists on haasparts for $3,500. Did the tech try reloading the software?
    I asked if the tech could reload the software. But he said theyre not allowed to do that. It has to be done at Haas. Then they resell it refurbished. Im based in canada. So with tax and conversion its about 5k. The full price is 12k but they half the price when you hand in the old one. Its frustrating because i know they could probably just plug into the serial port and reinstall the os. But its not the way Haas does things. I guess they make more money off us this way.

Is that a new thing, or some canadian difference? That isn't the way it is here, at least last time I had the haas tech here. All the boards come without software loaded.

There may be a difference in the exact nomenclature of the word "software". The machine's GUI (M18,01 for example) is just the top layer, which connects the underlying motion system with the machine's memory (settings, parameters, programs, basically everything on the keypad). The software can be reloaded and updated anytime, although a Haas tech has to do it because the process will wipe out some protected parameters that need to be altered. That said, the processor has other embedded programming that is more inherent to the machine, like kinematics and board-level addressing. It sounds like that was the actual problem with your TM2.

Of course, you're definitely right that there isn't anything that would prevent re-flashing the processor board in the field, except the field technicians aren't exactly trained to do it. Reloading the software just needs a USB, but I don't think many places are using ROM flashers these days. It seems weird but even the process for reloading the machine's software can be risky because of the differences over the years. I've seen it "go wrong" before which only requires more work be spent in front of the controller...uggh