585,712 active members*
3,783 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Spindles / VFD > CNC Spindle synchronization

CNC Spindle synchronization

I have had to replace the servo motor on my small CNC lathe with a 1.5hp 3 phase induction motor, driven from single phase, through a VFD. I use the machine with Mach3 and everything is working fine. Including the r.p.m. encoder. Unfortunately with this "economy" replacement I have lost spindle synchronisation.
    My question is, can there be any possible way to synchronise the spindle using this motor, for screwcutting. - If so can I use the simple "hall effect switch" and magnet on the spindle method.
    Your advice appreciated.

Re: CNC Spindle synchronization

It's got an encoder on it? Or is it just a tach? If you can run 1:1 timing pulleys you should be able to use the index pulse on the motor.
    If not, any way to get a reliable index pulse should work as long as the motor doesn't bog when you enter a cut.

Re: CNC Spindle synchronization

It has an encoder and rpm is being recorded fairly accurately. When I set up the "input" to active low. I get an intermittent signal in the diagnostics. The green indicator pulses anything from every 5 secs to 25 secs without any apparent regularity. As I understand it, this should pulse once per revolution? Regardless of speed. e.g. 250 thro 1000 tried.