585,712 active members*
3,935 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Avid CNC > Broken proximity sensor - what sensor guards have you made?

Broken proximity sensor - what sensor guards have you made?

The only real flaw (IMO) of the CNCRP system bit us this weekend as I came in on Monday to a non-functioning CNC due to a broken proximity sensor that I'm sure one of my employees broke but just like with kids, no one did it. I had been meaning to design a guard but never got around to it but I guess I need to do that now. I contacted CNCRP about a guard but while I got an email response, I didn't get any answer about a guard so I guess they don't have one. CNCRP really should have come up with a proximity sensor guard by now as this is a major weakness in an otherwise solid kit system. So what guards have you built to protect the (fragile) sensors? Any ideas, especially with pictures would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Re: Broken proximity sensor - what sensor guards have you made?

Here is what is post so far on this problem.
    https://www.cnczone.com/forums/cnc-r...crp-pro-2.html

The pieces I made ( in that post ) have worked really well for me. I've slammed into them a couple of times and they definitely protected the sensors.

Quote Originally Posted by dgage View Post
    The only real flaw (IMO) of the CNCRP system bit us this weekend as I came in on Monday to a non-functioning CNC due to a broken proximity sensor that I'm sure one of my employees broke but just like with kids, no one did it. I had been meaning to design a guard but never got around to it but I guess I need to do that now. I contacted CNCRP about a guard but while I got an email response, I didn't get any answer about a guard so I guess they don't have one. CNCRP really should have come up with a proximity sensor guard by now as this is a major weakness in an otherwise solid kit system. So what guards have you built to protect the (fragile) sensors? Any ideas, especially with pictures would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    They are very poorly designed, the proximity sensor should never be even mounted like they are, mounted in direct line with an axes is asking for them to be broken and fail , they should be well protected and mounted where the moving axes can't hit then if the machine over travels
    Mactec54