585,948 active members*
3,630 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Manufacturing Processes > Turning > Shutte SF32SDNT inconsistent cutoff.

Shutte SF32SDNT inconsistent cutoff.

Hello everyone, Im fairly new to the machinist world let alone working with multispindle machines so I apologize for my ignorance in advance. Now that thats out of the way, I operate a 1995 6 spindle Shutte SF32SDNT series 42 (with a cnc on the 4th spindle position) that runs for 24 hours straight. The part we're making has about a 100 micron tolerance on the overall length. Normally the machine has no problems keeping the parts within about 50-70 microns of each other, but about a week ago it suddenly started having issues keeping the parts even up to 200 microns between the shortest and longest part.
    About 80 percent of the parts are coming out in tolerance. The length tends to move back and forth short and long and will occasionally cut off a couple parts that are significantly (20-50 microns) shorter or longer than the rest. And some parts seem to be getting cut off crooked. One side of the face on the cut off end of the part will be about 20-50 microns shorter than the other. So if the part is a tube. Measuring the length with a drop indicator will show a varying length as you rotate the part around its center.
    The two chamfers (one on each end of the tube) are supposed to vary their depth slightly moving with the length of the parts. But now both chamfers seem to stay around the same depth most of the time regardless of the length and only follow the length of the part sometimes.
    The cnc cuts a pattern into the part creating the outside diameter and a shoulder closer to the front face of the part. The most important measurement on this part is the length from the shoulder to the cut off end. Since the cut off wont stay consistent for some unknown reason, the main issue is keeping the parts in this dimension. Normally this dimension also follows the length but now it is unpredictable.
    The outside diameter is also a lot less consistent than it normally is, slowly gets larger and sometimes jumps up ten microns larger than it was 5 seconds ago.
    Weve changed the holder for the cutoff as well as retimed the cutoff and pick up, tightened and loosened the spindles and pushers, checked all other holders and slides and made sure all the inserts are center. I'm not sure if the cnc is having issues or if its only the cut off. I understand it is an old machine but this was a sudden problem. Its not getting worse but we do have to check every single part and its making a lot of scrap. Any advice or ideas would be greatly appreciated as no one on my end can seem to figure this out. Thank you very much and have a nice day.
    Last edited by Bulletsnatch; 06-27-2018 at 06:00 PM. Reason: Got off work had time to revise.

Update: replaced collet in pickup attachment. Didnt help. We think the cam is dented new one coming in next tuesday