585,712 active members*
3,866 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Manufacturing Processes > Milling > could use a bit of help, keep breaking my material!

could use a bit of help, keep breaking my material!

Hi

So, ive had a carvey cnc for a while - i just upgraded it to an openbuilds Cbeam Xl.

Im getting used this, as its a more traditional cnc than the carvey, but i like it.

however; i was trying to carve something today - just a simple clamp design - nothing major, nothing fancy.

I carved a few, that worked fine with a somewhat dull bit (to test) - then it all seemed to work fine, and i decided to whip out my CMT straight bit, a brand new expensive bit i hadnt used before.

The old bit i used was 6mm, the new is 6.35 (1/4) - so i adjusted in meshcam, did the drawing, and ran it.

Now - it cut super nice - like butter, very impressive. I was cutting 4 of these clamps, - and then suddenly BOOM, one of them snapped - the wood simply snapped off in one of the designs, like the bit had touched it wrong (NO MEANS NO) - but i wasnt too worried.

Then after a few mins, BOOM the next one goes too. Now im a bit worried. And surely after a few mins, the last one goes too - they all seemed to go in different ways. But to me it almost seemed like the bit was touching / rubbing and eventually just had the whole thing vibrate in a way so that it well..ended bad.

I then changed the design slightly, ran it at slightly different settings ( tried using the g-wizard thing ) and it seemed to run fine, until.. you guessed it.

So.. what am i doing wrong here?

Im guessing, that this has something to do with the fact that when it gets too deep into the material (about 1.5cm) it must not have the space, or something gives/bulges.. but what can i check in order to remedy this. I think this is a simple thing, but not one ive run into before, and its pretty hard to word this out for a google search, so im hoping i can get some help here!

Thanks!

Dear Friend,
    I am jack from eastarcompany,In my oipion, it is wrong on your upgrade or milling tool.you can send my e-mail to me on my website cnc-eastar.com, may be you can call carvey:CALL: 312-775-7009.I wish I helped you,thanks.