I have a few questions about closed loop CNC.
1. Do existitng softawre / hardware handle closed loop CNC. Or are they running in open loop mode like just send steps and hope that the motors reach their position?
2. In case of DC servos with encoders attached, how do the drives use the encoder information. Because AFAIK the even the DC servo drives have step / dir inputs. So if a servo drive receives 3 steps will it map it to degrees and rotate the motor to go to that absolute position based on the encoder feedback?
3. Do motion controllers handle encoder feeback or is it the drives responsibility to do that?

I am asking this because I need to used high power motors for at least 2 of my axis. The motors would be rated at least 1.5 to 2 KW so I'm not sure whether you get such high power steppers. I'm currently considering to go in for either a regular AC motor with VFD. But for this I would need a VFD with position control and I don't know how well VFD's handle position control or possibly I'm thinking of going in for the DMM Ac servo's / drive combo.

Thanks in Advance