585,917 active members*
3,445 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Spindle Speed Control Stopped Working

Hello, I am having some trouble with controlling my spindle speed through mach 3. I am using a Huanyang 1.5kw vfd connected through a leadshine Mx4660 and controlled by mach3. For the past few months I have been able to control the spindles speeds with mach without any problems, but sometime last week when I was running an operation the speed just didn't increase as it was supposed to. Some background, I start my spindle on the vfd, I click run and it runs up to 7200 rpm then mach takes over from there. I have a backup copy of my mach profile and I loaded up that into mach, it has the same setup for that spindle, and the spindle worked just as it was supposed to. I closed the backup profile and opened it later and now that one wont run the spindle speed.I made a third profile, input the same spindle settings, disabled everything else, and it ran for a while then stopped when I saved and reopened the file. I tried the default Mach3 milling profile, input my spindle settings, and that one currently runs correctly. But all of these profiles have the same setup, but it appears like mach3 is the source of the issue and I can't find much else as to what the issue could be. I checked my main profile to see if anything was using the same pins as the spindle but there are no other inputs or outputs on the spindles pins. If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate the input. Let me know if you needs any more information.

Thank you, Austin

Re: Spindle Speed Control Stopped Working

Mach3 .xml files are know to become corrupted on occasion, which is what sounds like is happening. But I've never heard of it happening repeatedly like you are seeing.
    Do you have a valid license in your name?

I'd create a completely new profile, and when everything is working, save a copy of the .xml file.
    When you have problems, just replace the .xml.

Re-installing Mach3 may help as well.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Have you considered the Mach plug in by Royaumedeole using the RS485 link for all control and disply?
    Mach3 plugin for Huanyang VFD | Le royaume d'éole
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

I have actually never seen this before, but it's is pretty interesting. So am I correct that all I would need is the adapter and the plugins/downloads. Then I can do all my spindle controls in mach3 but through this plugin? I just want to make sure because in the prerequistes section it states a "huanyang with RS485" then a "Rs485 adapter" I am a little unsure if that is talking about two different things. Thanks for the comment, great suggestion.

my license should be fine i think. Creating a new profile and going from there was what I was thinking too, but I tried and it wont run my spindle at all, I might be a little dead in the water with profiles. So it looks like i might have to do a reinstall and see if that helps. otherwise I might try out the RS485 plugin. Thanks for the response!

I use a cheap (ebay) COM port to RS485 adapter, if you don't have a PC COM port, a USB adapter should work, I would think you need to set the port to simulate a COM port out. I believe others here have.
    But all the commands and reads are sent/received over the link.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.