584,866 active members*
5,090 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Geometry offsets

OK I have setup alot of lathes but this one has me stumped.
    Kia with Fanuc O-T
    With a tool presetter
    For some reason the tool presetter is now not giving the correct offset after setting an od tool you can call it up in mdi and it will say it has like -4.1 inches to go while at spindle centerline.
    So I went to set the tool manually made a skim cut measured the diameter add this value to machine position and input in the offset page but it is not correct.
    Say it is off by .250, I went in and added .25 to the offset now it is off like .095

Nothing makes logical sense

Machine was fine until it was crashed, then the machine was off like .485 so they tried to change a parameter to fix it but it didn't work, the guy swears he only changed the one parameter #508, this only controls the home position in x step count after contacting the home switch.
    I did notice that after homing out this machine it will put 10.3795 in x Relative display, I don'y know where this number is coming from.
    Machine position will show zero in x after homing.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Geometry offsets

What you can do is use a manually touched off tool that has the correct offsets to re-calibrate the sensor. Use the G124 cycle with the appropriate parameters to correct the sensor. I've attached a renishaw manual for the Q-setter that should help you to understand the parameters and how to do it.

0500 Calibration program.
    G124K2.T2. H3. Calibration of 4 stylus faces using preset OD tool #2.
    M30 End program

In this example, tool 2 would be already calibrated. Then the tool would be positioned within .2" of the stylus on both x and z (above and right). Then the cycle would be run to calibrate the probe.

All 4 faces are calibrated in this example. See chapter 4 for details.

I have seen some different g-codes being used, so please confirm on your machine.

Best regards,
    Experience is what you get just after you needed it.

Re: Geometry offsets

Quote Originally Posted by redbonetool View Post
    OK I have setup alot of lathes but this one has me stumped.
    Kia with Fanuc O-T
    With a tool presetter
    For some reason the tool presetter is now not giving the correct offset after setting an od tool you can call it up in mdi and it will say it has like -4.1 inches to go while at spindle centerline.
    So I went to set the tool manually made a skim cut measured the diameter add this value to machine position and input in the offset page but it is not correct.
    Say it is off by .250, I went in and added .25 to the offset now it is off like .095

Nothing makes logical sense

Machine was fine until it was crashed, then the machine was off like .485 so they tried to change a parameter to fix it but it didn't work, the guy swears he only changed the one parameter #508, this only controls the home position in x step count after contacting the home switch.
    I did notice that after homing out this machine it will put 10.3795 in x Relative display, I don'y know where this number is coming from.
    Machine position will show zero in x after homing.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Got it fixed found a backup copy of parameters and that fixed it.