585,719 active members*
4,431 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > Haas CNC Mill 179 alarm question

Haas CNC Mill 179 alarm question

Good day to you all.

I have a question and would appreciate an answer as soon as possible.

I have a 179 alarm (Transmission oil is low or low pressure condition in oil lines) on my company’s Haas Mill. I tried to call my Haas factory outlet, but I was too late in the day to catch them.

I’m going to be checking to see what the causes might be, but in the event it is just low oil level, the Haas calls for Mobil DTE 25. However, I don’t have any on hand, only Mobil DTE 24.

Do you know, or have any of you used DTE 24 oil in place of DTE 25 for the transmission oil on a Haas mill?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Re: Haas CNC Mill 179 alarm question

I don't think it would cause any massive damage, just a different type of hydraulic fluid for lubricating the gears. Worst case is you could change the fluid later which would eliminate most of it from the system.
    I think it would be more important to avoid overfilling the transmission. I don't remember the exact fill amount off the top of my head, but you can find it in the maintenance manual.
    We change our transmission oil ever year just for preventative maintenance sake.

Re: Haas CNC Mill 179 alarm question

There is a drain plug on the bottom side of the spindle. Four screws hold the inspection cover over it. You could check and see if any oil is in there by removing it and seeing if anything comes out, but I would just go to the top of the spindle and add oil. When the level is correct, it will overflow out of the small hole in that underside cover. In other words, you can't overfill it as the extra comes out (and that is how you are supposed to do it), just put a catch bucket under the spindle. When the transmission if filled, see if you still get the error. May also be a bad pump.

I would get the correct oil, not hard to get at all. McMaster-Carr if nothing else.

Mike
    Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28