585,727 active members*
3,930 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Setting up PM-940CNC

Finally got a mill - a PM-940 CNC. Liked the big size, heavy weight, hardened ways, and price point. I want to make small steel and aluminum parts for my car hobbies...

No issues in shipping as it was very well crated. A couple of dings on the stand but nothing to worry about.

Have the the mill all set up and powered and slowly working thru the start up.

Was advised at time of purchase the NMOTION controller card is "problematic". The document ion is terrible with 50% in Chinese and the terminal description/specs cropped so you have to guess..... My NMotion card will not power up either and I am slow tracing power and double checking wiring.

The CNC cabinet was well organized, with all wires labeled and routed. The rest of the CNC gear include Leadshine Server Motors and Controllers and a Delta VFD for the spindle.

Did a bit of research and ordered an Acorn board and the Pro Mill software to get rid of the NMotion controller - between the PM advisement that many swap it out and the terrible documentation I want to avoid the trouble shooting headache.

Really liked the Centroid Acorn site, forum and GREAT wiring schematics. This should make install much easier than troubling shooting the NMOTION.

Some pix attached and I will update as I make progress.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2717.jpg   IMG_2702.jpg  

Re: Setting up PM-940CNC

Go through and tighten every single wire. Many people have reported loose wires on PM's CNC machines.

Thanks - I will go do that Wednesday!

I have just purchased the PM-940M-cnc-VS with the nMotion controller card. It works fine sometimes and other times it disconnects at random times and locks up the computer. I haven't found anyone who has been able to make it work consistently. I would be interested in your solution. Did you convert to Acorn? How difficult was it. Any problems?